Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork shoulder cooking time?

Pork shoulder cooking time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:19 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I simply use two dinner forks, one in each hand to pull pork.

Ooohh, and a third one for tasting! :wink:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 pm

they definately are not whole shoulders, just a small roasting size. at $0.98/ pound i couldn't pass on them. I may throw one on the smoker with some ribs and test it. I just stopped by my favorite BBQ joint and picked up my favorite sauce and i am ready to smoke.
I will report back with my results :wink:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:33 pm
spfranz well done
well done

To pull meats, I found something at a local store in the Minneapolis area called Bear Claws. They are fantastic for this job. Will shred a but or picnic in about 2 minutes. You can find them at http://www.outdoorcookingstore.com/Products_top.cfm?state=detail&n_id=1264

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:57 pm

I put on the 2 shoulders each weighing @3.5 lbs. After six-seven hours the temp stayed at 160-165. this was the first time using a new thermometer and was beginning to doubt its effectiveness but stayed the course. The next time i added wood and mop sauce the temp. had jumped to 180 and the next time it was 190-195. Total cooking time 9 hours, meat was tender, juicy and had a nice smoke ring. as far as the reheating portion of my experiment, once word spread through the family of my smokefest i had several family members show up for samples. we eventually ate almost all of it so not much to reheat. but it sure was yummy :D

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:08 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Glad to hear thay turned out well.
Do you know what temp your smoker was at?

RichD

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

bigkahuna83 the first time I noticed the temperature plateau, I also thought there was something wrong with my thermometer. After doing some researching around on the NET I quickly found that this is a normal phenomenon. (But not before boiling all my thermometers to check their accuracy :lol: ) Now I just let it ride...

Glad to hear you Que hit it off big time :D !

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:07 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Great to hear it bigkahuna. It's always satisfying.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:25 pm

temp stayed between 210-250. since i have a gas smoker, there is not a lot of work maintaining temps. :D

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:40 pm
Ronbo rare
rare

I found a website that has High-Temp Neoprene Coated Gloves. These look like an excellent choice for pulling pork. The description states that they are FDA approved for handling food. I am ordering me a pair right now.

Just smoked 2 boston butts and 2 picnic shoulders this weekend. Took about 11 1/2 hours. Came out great once again. Vaccuum seal some and put it in the freezer for later. Also brought some in for the guys at work and they loved it!!! Part of the fun is sharing the BBQ with others.
"Taste the Difference" - Traeger Grills

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:07 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hey Ronbo - Share that website with the rest of us! I'm sure there are others who are interested in those gloves!

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:36 pm

Sorry about that I totally spaced that one!!! On the left hand side choose Heat Resistant Gloves, they are second from the bottom.

[/url]http://www.mcmaster.com/[url][/url]

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:52 pm
Ronbo rare
rare

oops! Forgot to log on! :oops: 2 strikes for me!

Sorry about that I totally spaced that one!!! On the left hand side choose Heat Resistant Gloves, they are second from the bottom.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
"Taste the Difference" - Traeger Grills

Previous

Return to General Discussion