Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Question: Weber VS Vermont Casting

Question: Weber VS Vermont Casting

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:45 pm
jmstipe raw
raw

Good Day:
I am debating between purchasing a Weber Premium Silver B (36,000 BTUs) and a Vermont Casting VCS3000 (37,500 BTUs). These BBQ's are very similar in price and appear to be similar in features. However, I was hoping that fans of each could offer their opinion.

Thank you. :D

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:32 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

One very important thing to think about is parts availablilty.

You can get parts for a Weber almost everywhere. Sears stocks Weber parts when even when they don't have parts for their own!

YB

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome jmstipe! I've enver owned a gas grill but I have heard many good things about Weber grills. Hope you find what you need.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:22 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I own a Weber Platinum. All I can tell you is that Weber stands behind their product. A crack had developed in the table of the Weber grill.I called customer support and a replacment table was delivered 5-7 days later. NO questions asked other then shipping info.

Good luck on what ever you decide,

Tom

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:46 pm
Big D well done
well done

I am the proud owner of a Webber Summit Gold D... I was first drawn to the grill because of its mamoth size, and shiny exterior :D but have been very impressed with cooking on it. I stand by the product whole heartedly and can't see myself ever buying a different brand of gas grill in the future....

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:23 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm with Big D and Tomp. Weber has earned my business. They make a superior product and offer superior product service. I had some issued with my Gold D and after a very brief phone call they sent me a new lid and ignitor system free of charge!
They simply can't be beat. If you can find what you like within their product line...BUY IT!

*I am in no way shape or form affiliated with Weber*

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:41 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Well I can tell you that I am the proud owner of a Vermont castings for about 3 months now and I absolutely love it. I chose Vermont castings over weber because it seemed to be a tank and built to last. Most aspects when compared to the weber seemed to be more beefier. The lid is a heavy monster, the side panels are stainless steel and not plastic, the grates are heavy duty porcelain coated cast iron (which I prefer). The design for reducing flare-ups is also great.

The parts availability is a concern though, weber has been around a long time and will be around even longer. When I went to home depot to get a new grill I was going to buy a weber but when I saw the Vermont castings, I figured I would take my chances.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:53 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK. While we are on the comparison kick.
Lets add JennAir to the mix.

Any thoughts on this line of grills.

YB

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:19 pm
Woodsmoke raw
raw

I bought a VC grill instead of a Weber for 2 reasons. First, the hood on a weber looks to low to do a beer can chicken. Second, I prefer the left/center/right burners instead of front/center/back burners. I find it much easier to cook with indirect heat that way. The only drawback so far has been parts. Not that it's broken or anything, but you can't even buy new drip pans for it. Have not seen them at Home Depot where I bought it or on the VC website. How many times do I have to keep cleaning the original one out? They just started carrying grill covers for them at HD. Other than that, I've had mine for a year and really like it.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:32 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Woodsmoke wrote:
The only drawback so far has been parts. Not that it's broken or anything, but you can't even buy new drip pans for it. Have not seen them at Home Depot where I bought it or on the VC website..

There's nothing special about the drip pan, its just a disposable aluminum pan. I have picked some up at the grocery store, next time I do I'll note what size they are and post back.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:56 am
PaulP well done
well done

Woodsmoke wrote:
I bought a VC grill instead of a Weber for 2 reasons. First, the hood on a weber looks to low to do a beer can chicken..

I have done many beer can chichens on my Weber, including 6 - 7 lb. roasters without a problem.

In addition to the outstanding customer service, longevity, and parts availability of the Weber, let's talk about cooking on it. My experience confirms what both Consumer Reports and Cook's Illustrated reported. The Weber is outstanding in evenness of heat, temperature control, absense of flare-ups, and all-around cooking ability. Both magazines rated the Webers highest in their size class. The Jen-Air and Vermont Castings were rated lower overall.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:14 am
PaulP well done
well done

I want to correct something I said yesterday. The Jenn-Air medium-sized grill that they tested was rated Recommended by Cooks Illustrated and Consumers Repoerts. Cooks said it was equal to the Webers, but ranked lower because it is more expensive.

The grill that suprised me with it's Not Recommended rating was the Tec.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:37 pm
wfd146 rare
rare

As far as the Jenn Air, they are the same grill as the Vermont Castings, the JA are sold be Lowes and the VC by Home Depot. I've used both, and the Weber is by far the better grill. I have the Gold B, and I love it! If you buy ther Gold series, make sure you buy the cast iron grates at Home Depot, they are so much better. If not, the Silver will do fine, just buy from Home Depot, they have the Cast Iron grates, all other stores have the porcelin coated steel. As stated in other posts, you can buy Weber part at most hardware stores, and they're customer service is second to none!!!

Mike

Return to General Discussion