Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Newsletter Feedback

Newsletter Feedback

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:27 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

That's right, the first edition of Up in Smoke is coming your way today. If you haven't signed up already, now is the time. This first issue will be made public on the site. Upcoming issues will be housed at a secret location, available only to subscribers for one month after publication. So join up today!

And this is the thread to offer your feedback, tips, questions, and more.

Info
Last edited by Info@Workman on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:31 pm
stripegrill medium
medium

Steve,
Liked the newsletter a lot. I thought that the information was preseneted in a clean way. I liked the recipe for the skirt steak and will definitely try it this weekend. I am eagerly anticipating the next newsletter about smoking!

As far as recipes go, I have tried the Tuscan porterhouse, the ribs (indirectly cooked), of course beer can chicken, and many of the vegetable recipes. I must say that all of your books are easy to read and follow.

Keep up the good work and good eating!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:19 pm
dallasBBQ raw
raw

Steven,

I was glad to open my email this afternoon and see that your newsletter was finally available. I took one of your BBQ classes you offered on your Book Tour when you made your stop here in Dallas this summer. Life hasn't been the same since. If I don't grill out at least 2-3 times a week, I get withdrawls.

During the cooking class, you made the Grilled Lobster for us, and I have already impressed two dinner parties with this feast. Topped it off with the grilled corn/taragon butter and grilled peaches and ice cream for desert! AWESOME!! It was hard the first time to kill the first lobster the way you showed us, My wife thinks I'm dimented or something.

Last night I finally grilled the Salmon on a cedar plank that you also showed us how to do, along with the Grilled Asparagus (that is in your "How To Grill") book, and it was great. However, in your recipe for the salmon, it says add salt and pepper to taste, but mine was a little salty. Do you have a suggested amount of salt that you would recomend?

Looking forward to your "Smoking" newsletter. Can you perhaps give your instructions on how to cook Baby Back Ribs in the horizontal smoker? I've tried it on my Weber charcoil grill, but would like to give it a shot in the smoker.

BTW -- if anyone has not tried the Buffa-Que wings and washed them down with some ICE COLD BEER, you have not LIVED!!! Thanks so much Steven for sharing that one with us!

Here's a list of some of my favorites that I have tried in your books:
Buffa-Que Wings
Pacific Northwest Planked Salmon
Baby Back Ribs
Chicken grilled under bricks
Corn, Asparagus, Squash, Peppers
BBQ Onion
Beer Can Chicken

Take care!

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:15 pm
Tommy raw
raw

Steve

The newsletter is GREAT,just like the books. Everything I have tryed has work GREAT for me and to the delight of my wife. Thanks for makeing my hobby better!

Tommy

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 pm
Lisa_N rare
rare

I loved the newsletter and can't wait for the next one! :)

Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:36 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

This site has opened a whole new adventure. I have always liked to grill, and your site has shown me how little I really knew about barbequeing. I plan on buying all of your books (one at a time). The newsletter is a great addition to an already good thing. Looking forward to the next issue.

Pete

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:33 am
larry C

Grillin for years, new to bbq &smokin. takes some time and practice love it! beer can chickens are a hit. people love em. brisket is tasty, sometimes alittle dry. 5-6 hrs. at about 250 -325.

Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:19 am
sfculver

Steve,
Love the newsletter. I love gilling and have fr many years, but have been learning more techniqes in the past year. Have done the beer can chicken a few times. Last time I tried something a little different, I wrapped half a lemon with rosemary and tyme and put into the chicken before I put it on the beer can. It turn out really good. My wife thought it was the best.

Steve

Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:08 am
gcpatch

Steven,
I loved the newsletter, just as I have loved the books and a number of recipes therein. I caught your show on the food channel by accident one night where you have that BBQ workshop at some resort. I had been seeing the books in the bookstore, but had not paid much attention to them. I have always enjoyed grilling, but only did so on weekends maybe once every few weeks, and mostly steaks, hamburgers, hot dogs, BBQ chicken, etc. You know, the basic stuff that a guy likes to grill. I had to go on a diet lately and lost about 67 lbs, and am trying to get into grilling fish, more chicken, etc. I bought your book on How to Grill while on vacation. We happened to be staying at a beach house that had a Weber charcoal grill like mine at home. My life has not been the same ever since. I now grill at least 3 times a week and grilled about every night while on that vacation. Everyone absolutely loves the beer can chicken. I have even taken the act on the road, cooking some of your reciepes with the beer can chicken at the homes of some of my friends on their grills. It's much better on a charcoal grill I have bound though.
I have tried too many of the recipes since the first week of July to even attempt to name here. I have since bought your book BBQ USA and love it as well. One thing I would appreciate hearing from you on though is your anticipated topic in October. However, I would like to know before then. I am presently in need of more grill space, and looking at buying more grills. Obviously, I have thought about a gas grill for convenience, but the ones I have used at the homes of friends, though high dollar grills such as the Vermont Castings (or something like that), do not generate the smoke and flavor of my charcoal. I have thought of the new Weber Performer with the gas ignition for convenience, but don't know if that convenience is worth the extra bucks as further reading seems to indicate it takes just as long for the coals to get hot. I have thought of the Big Green Egg as well. What would be your recommendation for the ultimate set of grills, and the uses for each? I also like to hear brands, though I don't know if you are willing to do that.
I am sorry to have been so lengthy here, guys, but I am afraid my wife might be correct when she says that this grilling has gone beyond a hobby and become an obsession!!
Gerald

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:18 pm

Steve,
Also loved the first newsletter link. It's got me interested in barbequing lately. I did ribs last night and shrimp this evening. I do love to cook and barbeque!
It also got me to join this board and post a few comments on others' posts.

Keep it up! :D
:D Spoon_Gouge :D

Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:22 pm
dkirn well done
well done

The newsletter is excellent - the only problem was that I was checking my email at work when I got the newsletter and I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon reading about BBQ on the internet - this is not a hobby it is an obsession!!!! Anyway, great newsletter and I can not wait for the next one!!

Thanks

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:57 am
rearres raw
raw

I have just finished reading the newsletter and have already subscribed. I am certainly looking forward to the next one. I am always looking for new bbq recipes and new types and cuts of meat. Being in Northern Manitoba makes it difficult sometimes to get a variety of fresh meats and supplies for the recipes so we sometimes have to improvise. As someone stated, "this is becoming an obssession" and I hope they never find a cure.

Return to General Discussion