Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion smoking chiken breast & Mop question

smoking chiken breast & Mop question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:18 pm
Loene rare
rare

First off, i am so glad that I came across this site. I am new I guess at smoking (about 3 years). I mostly have done pork ribs, brisket and a turkey last thanksgiving. I was born in Ohio but didnt know what smoking was till I moved to Texas some 8 years ago. My question is, when doing chicken breast, how long should I smoke them? I am going to be smoking for a wedding this july. Besides the ribs and brisket I have been asked to do chicken breast. These breasts are the ones that you get from walmart or costco. They are about 1 lb each. My main worry is that the chicken ends up being dried out. I am going to try to experiment with some before than but was just wondering if anyone out there have done this or have any good ideas.

Also I have just come across what a 'mop' is. I heard that there are mops out there that have like a lid around the handle so you can close it within a jar of your mop. But I have only seen a regular mop on the net. I havent seen any in the stores here yet, but havent been to a true BBQ shop. Is this something that someone has modified or can you buy such a thing out there. Thanks for the advice/help in advance

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:44 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Loene,

Greetings, and I didn’t welcome you to the Board in my first post. Welcome. I think if you browse some posts here you will read that cooking times of things in a smoker are variable, and your best bet is to experiment and keep a good log of what you achieve. On chicken breasts I would use a good meet thermometer to measure and bring the center of the breasts to 175 to 180 degrees. And, they will be dry. No fat in there at all. I would recommend a mop of apple juice, maybe some garlic, maybe a bit of lemon. Again, experiment.

As to the mop jar, I bet some web surfing would turn up a source, and I bet someone here will soon post a link.

Happy grilling

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:36 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Brining will certainly help with the dryness factor. You can also inject them which would help and add flavor. Another thought would be to wrap them in bacon to get some of that fat on the outside. Skin on also helps.

I do have to disagree with ThrRoff on the temperature to cook them to though. They'll always be dry at 175 to 180. I'd pull them at 155-160 and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. They'll continue to cook until they hit about 165 which should give you a nice juicy breast.

I've had good luck with boneless skinless breasts by brushing them with a little olive oil and then grilling over a medium high temp.

The best suggestion is to do what ThrRoff suggested and keep a log of each time you cook them.

Can't help you with the mop. Sorry, but I've never used one - I have a Kamado (had to through that in there). :D

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:44 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

spfranz

You are right on the temperature. I guess I would always advise to error high on chicken.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:47 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I know where you're coming from ThrRoff. We have a little tradition here at my house. Every time I make poultry, I cut into my piece and say "that's done, isn't it?" to my wife. Just trying to cover my butt. It seems to be working though 'cuz I haven't made anyone sick yet.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:56 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Scott,

:lol: We have about the same tradition, especially when there is company around.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:53 am
Loene rare
rare

Thanks for all the help. Yesterday when shopping at an outlet store, I was able to find a few mops. Now i just cant wait to use them

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:19 am
PaulP well done
well done

I have three words on the subject -- Brine, Brine, Brine!

It is almost impossible to cook a chicken or turkey breast without drying it out without brining. Your brine should be 1 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar to a gallon of water. Soak for about two hours. It can go longer, but too long and you'll have mushy chicken. You can add any flavorings you want to the brine, but it works with just the formula above.

Adding bacon strips while cooking would add more flavor.

I also agree on pulling it off before the internal temp reaches 175 or 180 The USDA says that the chicken nasties are killed at 160. Further cooking is to "enhance texture." I would pull it at 165 - 170.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion