Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion brine chicken

brine chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:04 pm
Loene rare
rare

I have been reading about brine and chicken to keep it moist when smoking. What I am wondering is can one put in their rub into the brine so the chicken will soak up the flavor or just brine the chicken and then after the brine, put your rub on the chicken. I have a good rub but I am thinking of trying to brine my chicken next time. So just looking for your all input on brine and rubs.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:15 pm
spfranz well done
well done

You can put pretty much any flavorings you'd like in the brine. If you have a rub that you like, you could certainly add some. However, if you brine with your rub in and don't add anything else, it would be a much more subtle flavoring than you're used to with the rub.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:21 pm
Big D well done
well done

I would do the combo of putting the rub in the brind, as stated earlier its a lot more subtle, than add the rub later

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:46 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

If you have "How to Grill" take a look at the Bourbon Brined Pork Chops on page 127. Brining with flavors does wonderful things to meat. :D

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:13 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Steve's "Sauces, Rubs and Marniades" book would be good for you. Click on the store.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:36 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I always brine my chicken in the mor ning. I then rinse and apply whatever rub I'm using and put in fridge for a few hours to marinate.

Tom

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:57 am
Loene rare
rare

Going to try to atemp the chicken this weekend. I think that i am going to try with the rub in the brine and after the brine. I think that i am going to cut out or cut back the salt thats in the rub since i have heard that the brine gives the chicken enough salt. Dont need a salty chicken. Thanks so much, Man am i glad that i found this website. Just think that i have been without this site and smoking for almost 3 years

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:49 am
PaulP well done
well done

I would like to add that you do not have to brine if you're cooking the chicken beer can style. This is the only time I skip brining a whole chicken.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:08 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I agree w/ PaulP!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:13 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I don't know much about brine myself, however StPeteBBQ posted some great information about it on my board today:

http://www.sharky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88

Feel free to check it out.

I'd post it over here, but no need for a double post.

I'll be giving brine a shot this weekend!

Return to General Discussion