Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Looking at New Grills

Looking at New Grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I was killing some time in Target the other day, and stopped to check out the new grills they had on display. Now, I don't expect top-of-the-line from Target, but they had a Sunbeam and another selling in the $500 range. These were fancy all stainless models with side burner and a rotisserie, but I noticed a couple things that made me wonder. First, their version of flavorizer bars has slots all along the top of each bar. That seems to defeat the purpose of the bars, which is to vaporize drippings and direct any that don't vaporize away from the flame to prevent flare-ups. With the slots, I think very little would vaporize, but it would drip through directly into the flame. Result, instant flare-up.

Second, the pan underneath the burners was very flat with only a depression around the center grease drain opening. This looks like an inefficient grease collection design that would allow residue to collect in the bottom, requiring frequent cleaning to prevent a fire.

I'll stick with my Weber Genesis with solid flavorizer bars and the area below the burner shaped like a large funnel to direct all the gr ease to the collection pan. I only clean the funnel-like area by scraping it with a putty knife every couple months.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:08 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks for the heads up Paul. Its always nice to know whats out there. Details like that aren't always described in brocheurs.

Return to General Discussion