Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion baby back ribs

baby back ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:29 pm
Loene rare
rare

I have read where people have remove the thin membrane from the back of the ribs. I have read that it makes the meat more tender , more smoke and rub. I have tried them both ways and find that maybe trying to cut this membrane is not really worth it. The last set that I did, i just didnt put rub on that side and that was the side that went down on the grill side. Just was wondering what everyone out there does. Are there any tips on removing this membrane?

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:37 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Loene,
In my novice opinion, one’s cooking method drives whether or not one should remove the membrane. If you are smoking the ribs at a low temperature, then the membrane should be removed other wise you will have some chewy stringy ribs. However, when I grill ribs directly, I don’t bother to remove the membrane. I know I will hear some flack, but my recipe for grilled ribs is to simmer them in beer for 30 to 45 minutes and then grill. Add you favorite red sauce at the end.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:12 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Personally, I like the membrane removed but find that it's one of those personal choice things. I've never really had a hard time getting it off. Just stick a knife under one corner to get it started and pull it off. You can use a paper towel to get a better grip as well.

One other option is to take a knife and score the membrane instead of removing it. Just make diagonal slashes going both ways to cut big "X"s in it.

Whatever works for your family is the way to go!

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:23 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Loene, welocme to the board! I believe that removing the membrane comes down to personal preference. Some like skinless chicken and some enjoy the skin on. I've tried it both ways, and I take the membrane off because that's the way we like it. To me the meat cooks better without it.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:17 am
Airfoils well done
well done

I like to remove it regardless. The way I do it is I halve the racks and then I take a sharp knife and make a delicate incision corner to corner of each rack half to form an X on the back just enough to cut through the membrane. Then I take a paper towell and pull the membrane off by grabbing the points in the middle of the X and pulling outward.

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:32 pm
TOMP rare
rare

I'm also a fan of removing the membrane. I never thought of it as a lot of work. I think they come out more tender! Just mho.

Tom

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:10 pm

Concur with removing the membrane...additionally, on about 200 degrees for about an hour, I will let my ribs set in the oven first in 2 cans of beer.

Have a nice day
My wife loves me because I cook........and clean........do laundry........well, u know the rest.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:54 am
Loene rare
rare

I have never thought about using a paper towel to remove the membrane. I will try that next time, along with cutting an "X" in the back. This should make it easier for me than. Before all i did was start at one end with a little flap and then try to pull the whole thing off. Thanks for the advice

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:27 pm
TOMP rare
rare

If your pulling the membrane off you dont need theX's. you want to pull all one pc off. Once you get it started , this should be no problem! The X's will work if you choose not to remove the skin. This will allow rub and smoke to penetrate there.

Tom

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:51 pm
smokyblues well done
well done

I prefer to pull the membrane and the easiest way seems to be with a pair of clean plyers. If you are smokin' them (which is the best and only way to cook ribs) then you can also sear the ribs membrane side above the fire for a minute or two then put them in the smokin' chamber. This breaks down the membrane and allows them to fall off the bone when they are done. I also found that in the the last few hours of cooking that wrapping them in foil with a little Q sauce gets them nice & moist by letting them cook in their own juices. I'm getting hungry now.

Keep it Smokey

Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:22 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

TOMP wrote:
I'm also a fan of removing the membrane. I never thought of it as a lot of work. I think they come out more tender! Just mho.

Tom

That's good if you can do it, but I've often found the membrane doesn't often cooperate with coming off in one piece and slicing x's makes this nearly fool proof and quick with a very low hassle factor, dealing with rips and such. The paper towells help get a good grip on them.

Return to General Discussion