Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Indirect Temp: Lid gauge or Hand Count?

Indirect Temp: Lid gauge or Hand Count?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:45 pm
magnus raw
raw

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and trying to learn the ways of the grill master. I am a little confused on how to set up for indirect grilling. I know the basics of it but am confused on how to determine the temperature. When a recipe calls for indirect medium, on a 2 burner grill should I preheat the grill on one side to a medium setting judged by Mississippi count over the heated side or should I go by whatever setting gives a medium reading with the lid closed on the thermometer?

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:24 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The gauges slapped onto the lid of most grillsare almost useless. They either show warm, medium or hot, which mean nothing. Or are so inaccurate they could cause you to emolate something or serve it undercookedd.

To start with place an oven thermometer on the grate right next to the food. Try to keep it as far as possible from the heat source. Ths is the temp. at which food is going to be cooked.

Many other options are available as described on this site. Do a search for shrimp and marinade or seasoning.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:42 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Once you've gotten an accurate temp reading with a thermometer at grate level. Try the hand test to see how close you would have been.
With practice you'll learn what medium heat feel like along with high, low, etc.
I'm still getting the hang of it myself but I get a better feel for it every time I grill.
Incidentally, I think you should consider a Polder dual sensor thermometer. Even once you get the hang of the hand test, it only works when the lid is open. A polder will give you the temp inside without having to open your grill and lose all that heat. It will also give you your internal meat temp in real time with digital accuracy.
Search the board for "polder" to find out more.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:52 am
magnus raw
raw

I have a decent grip on judging direct heat. I just don't know how & where I need to be testing for indirect.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:37 pm
PaulP well done
well done

IMHO, judging temperature by "hand count" can never be more than an approximation. You could be off by 30 degrees, and that will make a difference in the results. You can find a decent mountable thermometer on the web for $20 or so. Buy one, and mount it so the probe is near grill level on the side where you place the food when cooking indirect. Then you'll always know, not guess, the temperature.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Return to General Discussion