Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork shoulder cooking time?

Pork shoulder cooking time?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi all, just picked up a few pork shoulders from 2.5 to 3.5 lbs each, just wondering what estimated smoking time per pound would be? thanks

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

bigkahuna83 estimated cooking times per pound are an educated guess at best. I haven't done any that small. They usually weigh 8-10 lbs around here. Might I suggest an instant-read thermometer or, even better, a remote probe unit to measure the internal temperature of the meat. No smokee should be without one, or two, or three! You need to cook the pork to 195-200* if you are going to pull it, but anything above 170* is edible. I smoke mine around 225-250* and they generally take 8-12 hours depending on how full I’ve loaded my smoker. Most households have a thermometer of some type for baking turkeys and the like. If you have one it’s best to use it instead of guessing times. Loads of luck!

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:32 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Hey your cheatin' :twisted: . Trying things out before the big party. Since your doing yours before I'll be doing mine let me know how they turn out.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

bigkahuna83 wrote:
Hi all, just picked up a few pork shoulders from 2.5 to 3.5 lbs each, just wondering what estimated smoking time per pound would be? thanks

Wow, those are awfully small. it will be interesting to see how much of them is left after the fat renders. Like Bob, mine range from 6-10 lbs. Cook them at around 220 until they're 190 then pull it with insultaed rubber gloves while its hot but after it has had time to set.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Are we talking about shoulders or butts? Boston butts, boneless butts and smaller shoulders are often called the same thing. Most true shoulders are considerably larger than 3.5 # unless they are from a very small animal. Cook them the same way just don't expect the same yield. A 30 to 40 percent loss in weight is not uncommon with proper techniques. If you don't render the fat it's greasy and most likely won't pull. As stated repeatedlty on this board the meat will plateau around 190-195 for a while before climbing. If you take it from the heat it will taste great. It just won't pull. If this happens just chop it (I know, I know). It's not for purists but it can save an event.

YB

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:53 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Are we talking about shoulders or butts? Boston butts, boneless butts and smaller shoulders are often called the same thing. Most true shoulders are considerably larger than 3.5 # unless they are from a very small animal. Cook them the same way just don't expect the same yield. A 30 to 40 percent loss in weight is not uncommon with proper techniques. If you don't render the fat it's greasy and most likely won't pull. As stated repeatedlty on this board the meat will plateau around 190-195 for a while before climbing. If you take it from the heat it will taste great. It just won't pull. If this happens just chop it (I know, I know). It's not for purists but it can save an event.

YB

Spammer! :D Shoulder will pull if he takes it off at 190.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:19 pm
MemphisMike medium
medium

That can't be a whole shoulder at 3-5 lbs. Sounds more like a butt or picnic shoulder. Anyway cooking time should be around 6-8 hours on indirect heat. Use a thermometer to check internal heat for proper doneness. Hope it turns out well :D

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:59 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes, shoulder will pull @ approx. 190. This is not an absolute, as every cut of meat is different so is every batch different. At 3.5 lb. we are not talking about a shoulder. If this small a cut is brought up to temp too quickly it won't render the fat cap and will be greasy and unappetizing. And if brought up to temp too slowly for too long a time it will dehydrate and turn dry and stringy like pig jerky. (Done both of these. Not fun. Not tasty. Luckily it was just for me and I was able to keep quiet.)

Shrink yo' head A-foil.

I be not a spammer! Many variables come into play to make pork "pull" or chicken breast stay so moist it's like cutting a wet sponge, or achieving the perfect balance between the crisp outside of a properly cooked porterhouse while maintaining the melt away chew and the big beefy flavor it was intended to have. All of these require practice and diligence. None of us knows all the answers, which is why this board exists. Mr. Raichlein's no doubt learning here as well. If you don't think you can gain anything from the other participants, you're missing out on the learning process. Got butt mastered? Try your hand at Burgoo. Make a soufflé. Try your hand at risotto. Paella on the grill, tough but can be done with regular practice. Weber wokking is not a new thing. Take your chimney starter, fill 1/2 way up with charcoal light it and slap a good seasoned carbon steel wok on top and chow away baby. We've been doin' this for almost 20 years. We all have tricks, tips, myths and failures. Best not to repeat the failures! (Mother in laws NEVER forge the failures. Always have a back-up!)

By the way thanks for the way you shared your exprerienc with the BBQ guru. I for one felt as if I were there. Very detailed account and you shared your personal experience with candor. We all wish we could have made the trip ourselves.

Thanks for helping the rest of us attend, if at least in spirit.

YB

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:31 am
Airfoils well done
well done

YardBurner wrote:
Shrink yo' head A-foil.

I be not a spammer! Many variables come into play to make pork "pull" or chicken breast stay so moist it's like cutting a wet sponge, or achieving the perfect balance between the crisp outside of a properly cooked porterhouse while maintaining the melt away chew and the big beefy flavor it was intended to have. All of these require practice and diligence. None of us knows all the answers, which is why this board exists. Mr. Raichlen's no doubt learning here as well. If you don't think you can gain anything from the other participants, you're missing out on the learning process.

Is this really necessary?

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:57 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:21 pm
Ronbo rare
rare

Airfoils wrote:
bigkahuna83 wrote:

Wow, those are awfully small. it will be interesting to see how much of them is left after the fat renders. Like Bob, mine range from 6-10 lbs. Cook them at around 220 until they're 190 then pull it with insultaed rubber gloves while its hot but after it has had time to set.

Airfoils, you mentioned you use "insulated rubber gloves" to pull the pork. Where did you find the gloves? I have been searching for a pair but haven't had any luck. I do alot of yelling when I am pulling it apart because the stuff is HOT!
"Taste the Difference" - Traeger Grills

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:28 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Ronbo, if I recall, I picked mine up at either Home Depot or Lowes. Can't remember exactly which it was. Like anything though, I am sure you can find exacly what you want with a search.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:55 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

You should be able to find them at Home Depot or Lowes like Air said. They should be in the area where tools for electricians are found or in the garden center of those stores. Not to be a drag, but you may want to make sure they are safe to work with food.

RichD

Next

Return to General Discussion