Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Top blade chuck steak "Top Secret"

Top blade chuck steak "Top Secret"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:03 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Have any of you guys tried a Top blade chuck steak?
Let me tell you this steak is the best-kept secret in the beef industry. There have been many experiments preformed on the tenderness of different cuts of beef. The top blade came only in second to tenderloin (in machine and blind taste). Yes and it comes from the chuck!
The only thing you have to watch out for is the line of gristle in the center of this cut. Once you get past that, you got a cheap alternative to the pricy tenderloin. This steak can be cooked in a variety of ways to include Kebobs, Fajita, and even stir-fry. But of course, it’s best when it’s grilled. It’s available in most supermarkets for a lot less than most steak would cost. Just be careful not to pick “chuck blade steak” instead (this one is very tough). If you have not tried it, you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s tender, full of flavor and most important, it’s cheap!
If you don’t know what it looks like, here is a link:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/flatironsteak.htm

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:26 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot if I can find it next time I am at the store.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I'll pick one up this weekend.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:41 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Airfoil and AndyC,
Let me know how it turned out. Don’t forget to trim the gristle in the center (before or after cooking).
Enjoy!

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:25 am
Vinsect well done
well done

If you haven't already checked out the post Secret Meat Weapon, do so. This Jaccard Tenderizer can make meat noticibly more tender too. Great for making the most of cheaper cuts of meat.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:28 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
You’re right about the Jaccard tenderizer. I’ve used and it really works. This cut however does not require any special treatment; it’s tender on its own. Even Omaha steaks started to carry this cut (due to its increasing popularity).
Check out this link: http://shop10.omahasteaks.com/servlet/O ... &RAND=7635
I don’t usually buy anything from them, but these guys carry only mainstream cuts. I was surprised to see it on their list.

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:55 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Might have to do mine middle of next week instead.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:32 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I'll have to put this on the grocery list.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion