Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Newbie questions

Newbie questions

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:59 am

Hey people. I have a kenmore grill about 6 years old I have noticed latley that when I turn on the gas I can't hear the gas flowing through the burner like it use to do. I have turned all the controlls off and went that route to see if it was that saftey valve, But it is the same. Could it be my regulator going bad. It seems to still work fine but I am not sure if the flame has gotten weaker compared to last year. The flame is mostley blue and yellow at the tips. Also what are good tips for cooking 1" steaks I am getting tired of guessing how done they are I always end up taking a slice in the middle to see how they are Thanks

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:01 am

The above was posted by me, Wheatworth

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:11 am
hotchef well done
well done

I can't offer much help as far as the gas goes. I own nothing but charcoal grills. (I live in an apartment and every square inch of outside space I have is full. As soon as more space opens up, a gas grill is sure to come.) As far as the steaks go, Steven's How To Grill book gives a VERY detailed approach to tell if a steak is done. He uses a method of poking the meat and comparing the "firmness" of it against a scale that he has developed to determine how done it is, anywhere from rare to burnt. You can also use an instant read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat. I don't know all the temps off hand, but I know that 145 F is medium rare. I believe the time that Steven gives for a high heat fire (600+) to get a 1 inch steak to medium rare is 4-6 minutes per side with the lid open.

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this stuff.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:00 am
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

One of my fisrst jobs when I was in high school was working the grill at a cheap steak house chain (ponderosa). The most valuable thing I leanred there was cooking meat to the correct doneness. They showed me the hand trick.

I just did a google so I'll link you to a couple methods with pictures rather than me try to explain it. After a while you should be able to just poke the steak with your finger and tell if its done or not. - Fung Fu on the BBQ!

http://www.bestbeef.com/choosing_best/C5_Page.html

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/meat/activity-fingertest.html
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:57 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Hey Wheatworth welcome to the forum.
Hotchef & AndyC have both given you some good information on telling when your food is done. So I will try to answer your question about the grill itself.
The change in the sound of the gas may be nothing other than your tank being a little low. As the tank is under pressure I notice when my tank gets a low the sound is not so loud. I am not an engineer so if this concerns you then you should have a professional look at it for you. As to the flame color it should be blue. A blue flame indicates complete combustion. If the flame begins to turn mostly yellow then your grill is not burning properly and you should have it looked at.
Here is a link to some good information on maintianing a gas grill:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/iip.shtm

Just scroll to the section on gas grills.

Hope this helps.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:11 pm

Thanx guys. Good info. I think I found out what was going on with the burner. I recently replaced my burner with a universal burner from wallmart. it has the copper flextube going to the controlls. I put the old burner back in to test it and I could hear the gas. Maybe the flextube is bigger in Dia making it silent?

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:03 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Wheatworth, welcome to the group. This may not have been the same problem you were having but I'll post it for future troubleshooting reference.
Spiders have a tendancy to spin webs and/ or lay egg sacs in the gas lines of grills. This causes problems from clogged lines to fires starting in the lines themselves. Fortunately most grills these days have a safety feature in the rubber hoses in that they will melt closed and self extinguish if they burn.
Since grill manufacturers have switched from lava rocks to vaporizer bars this has been less of a problem though. Lava rocks accumulate grease which draws insects which in turn draws spiders who eat insects.
And what spider wouldn't prefer grilled bugs?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion