Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Is the weber kettle 22.5" used for everyday grilling?

Is the weber kettle 22.5" used for everyday grilling?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:50 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Brett, Welcome to the board. Congratulations on the Weber. That's probably the most versatile grill designs ever made. Have you noticed that the majority of the illustrations in Steven's books are that grill? (OK, the Weber performer but close enough) There's a good reason for that.
I would encourage you to try real wood chunks in the near future. You can buy it in bags like charcoal, but it wasn't long before I bought a truckload of oak logs and started making my own chunks with my chainsaw. This is more cost effective in the long run and man is it good.
Do you have a chimney starter yet. Get at least one. There are lots of accessories out there. I've found 2 lately that I think are worth their weight in gold. I won't be putting these on a yard sale anytime soon... The Jaccard meat Tenderizer and the Polder Dual Zone Thermometer, along with Steven's book and this message board have changed my life.
Can I get an Amen?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:56 pm
chagan well done
well done

Amen Brother!

Although I don't have the Polder brand- mine is similar. :wink:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:58 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Hey, as long as it does the same thing.
I might like to have a wireless one someday. Right now the next gadget I keep dreaming about is a BBQ Guru.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/

Anyone have any feedback on these?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:13 pm
chagan well done
well done

The drawback (if you can call it that) with any of these units is the temp that they can handle. I have not used this brand (I have the Temp Detective) however, by the thickness of the leads one can assume that it cannot handle temps in excess of 400 as is the case with Polder, and The Temp Detective. So be advised to use it only in situations where the temp is lower. I have used my unit to get an actual grill grate temp by simply placeing the probe directly on the grate. This workes fantastic for indirect and barbecue grilling, however the unit would not survive a single high temp direct grilling session. The probe is meant to be inserted into the meat being cooked. Simply put, if used as recommended, you should not have a problem. :wink:

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:50 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chagan, did you go to the surplus themo. page. The one shown there is a dial type not a probe.

Rob

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:39 pm
chagan well done
well done

Yes, I did YB after you pointed out where to go. Be advised that this is a SMOKING thermometer where temps don't exceed 300 degrees. Just be sure that you know what you are getting, and that it is the right equipment for what you had in mind. Cheers.

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:31 am
Vinsect well done
well done

My Polder Dual Zone thermometer is rated up to 520 degrees. The second probe is made for the ambient temp of the grill while the first probe measures internal meat temp.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:44 pm
RJT

I am not sure about the other units, but the BBQ Guru is made for low and Slow bbq cooking, not high temp searing. It keeps steady low temperatures for long periods of time without having to worry about temp. spikes, wind, rain :D or loading charcoal every 5 to 6 hours. I have had mine for about a year now and won't slow cook without it.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:48 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Cool, what type of smoker do you use with it?
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:42 pm

I have a Primo Ceramic and a Weber Kettle

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:43 pm
RJT

Sorry about that. I forgot to put my handle in that last post.

Anyway I have a Primo and a Weber kettle

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:39 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Thanks RJT, Now that I've heard positive feedback on the BBQ Guru, I'll start saving my nickels and dimes up to get one.
BTW, welcome to the board. I hope you'll consider registering as an official user. It just takes a few minutes.
Then rebuild it better.

Previous

Return to General Discussion