Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion tips for venison

tips for venison

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:17 pm
miltguy rare
rare

Does anyone have any tips to get the most out of venison? I would think it goes well with smoke. I have ground meat, steaks and roasts. How should I cook it. As I am only 17 and my parents are cheap I have an older two burner gas grill and a Sears square kettle grill. So far I have made steaks and pulled pork on the charcoal.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:33 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I enjoy venison and thanks to my brother inlaw I have a freezer full including ground meat, stew meat, filets and roasts.
The one thing to remember when cooking venison in anyway is that it has a low fat content so you will want to keep an eye on it to prevent it from drying out. When smoking it you will want to mop it frequently to help with the moisture. You may want to try injecting it as well.
Also, when using the ground meat for burgers you may want to mix in some ground beef or fat of some sort. This will help the burgers stay tigether and keep from falling apart.
Hope this helps a little.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board miltguy. You'll find a lot of good information around here and a bunch of helpful folks that will assist you in making magic on that old grill. BTW my kids think I'm cheap too :wink: .

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:52 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome aboard.
First bit of advise is to do a search for venison and you may also try searching game as well. I remember over time several posts about both.
Second if you treat venison like a cut of beef you'll do well. Just realize that like beef there are better and worse cuts. Some need more flavoring, othersw don't. Some need more tenderizing, this is often true for venison since its so very lean. You may consider picking up a Jaccard.
All in all it not the grill but the chef that produces good food.
Good luck
Welcome to the board, enjoy the insanity.

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:04 am
miltguy rare
rare

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know if venison would aotomaticly become jerky on the grill. Thanks for the tip on the tenderizer too. Seems like a very interesting product.

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hey Mr Scale, you never did say how you liked your weapon?

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:05 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Another key to venison. Do not use salt in the cooking process, it dries out the meat.

Return to General Discussion