Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling right now... need quick help please...

Grilling right now... need quick help please...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
MrEcted1 well done
well done

Hey!

I would search, but i'm grilling right now... quick question... I have a 5.5 lb pork shoulder cooking right now and I was hoping to get it done in about 10 hours... what would you say I should aim for temperature wise? right now i'm runnin about 230.

Thanks!

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:28 pm
nwmud medium-well
medium-well

10 hours for pulled pork....
its going to be tough if you do that - always plan for about 16 to 20 hours. Most folks do them over night

Good luck. remeber it will stall and stay at one temp while it breaks down for a L O N G time. like hours.

I am not sure what I would do to make it cook faster.
Weber Gold C, Kamado, Chargriller w/sfb, Little Chief , Turkey Deep fryer, quick-adjust outdoor grill and so much more

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:38 pm
MrEcted1 well done
well done

Crap, that's not good news... =/

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:47 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looking at your equipment I'm assuning your are
going indirect vs. smoking. Correct.

Indirect will result in a higher cooking temp and
a butt that small should be fine. Steven gives a range of 4-6 hours in BBQ USA.

Indirect usually means 275-325*.
In essence you are smoke roasting not smoking.
Cook to an internal temp of 195*. Wrap with a
layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil
and place in a small cooler packed with crumpled
newspaper and hold for a couple of hours. (or as long as you can)

Hope this gets to you in time.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:48 pm

Run it up to about 245 and let it go, you should be close.

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:07 pm
jaybo medium-well
medium-well

I've done some chuck roll (beef equivalent) at 280-300 and it came out just fine. The meat doesn't magically turn out horribly if you exceed 250 degrees.

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:17 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bones, the key word here is smoker.

MrEcted1 is cookin offset on either a gasser
or a kettle. You get a lot m ore radiated heat
this way. A smoker cooks more with convection.
Plus, that's a pretty small butt.
-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

MrEcted1 wrote:
I would search, but i'm grilling right now... quick question... I have a 5.5 lb pork shoulder cooking right now and I was hoping to get it done in about 10 hours... what would you say I should aim for temperature wise? right now i'm runnin about 230.
The rule of thumb is 90 minutes per pound at 225 to get to 195 (pulling temp) so I think you're going to be OK with even enough time for the butt to rest, especially if you want to cook it only long enough to slice or chop it (remove from grate at 180). If you're worried about time you can bump up to 245-250 as was suggested with no ill effects.

Brad

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:23 pm
MrEcted1 well done
well done

I really really appreciate all your guys help!!!

I did bump it up to 250... I am slightly temped to finish it off in my weber kettle because in How To BBQ by Steve he says to cook for 5 hours at medium (325+) heat. I really can't wait 13 hours... we wont be eatin' til like midnight! (although it would be a fun midnight snack)

Should I do this? Or should I bump it to 270? The meats internal temp right now is only around 142... it's 1:30 in the afternoon right now.

Sorry... first smoke (Cheap ol modified Brinkmann water smoker)

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:32 pm
MrEcted1 well done
well done

smokey-bones wrote:
hello,
i just did a pork butt and it took 13 hours in the smoker at about 240 deg.this is a long process and ya can't push it.keep it low and slow and you will have a tender meat. keep doing what you are doing and ride the wave :lol: it will be worth it when it all done :!: :!:

happy new year
smokey-bones

Oh I'm ridin' the wave! I'm having a blast doing this! Thankfully the guests don't arrive for another 5 hours, it's been real nice sittin outside enjoying beer and smokin meat.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:13 am
MrEcted1 well done
well done

Just FYI...

The pulled pork turned out great! It was a huge success thanks to you guys! I ended up keeping it on the smoker at about 255 degrees and at 8:00 (11 hour smoke total) I took it off. I took it off slightly early cuz it was 2 degrees shy of the 190 degree mark when I pulled it off (people started getting anxious) but it was still very very good... had a nice smoke ring, too! It was very very tender and juicy... next time i'm gonna go for the 24 hour smoke!

Thanks again for the help! I took a picture but it wasn't with my digital camera cuz I couldn't find it. I'll post it as soon as I get it developed.

Thanks again,

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:31 am
Longmill well done
well done

I'm glad that it turned out well for you. It's hard to guesstimate how long a large cut will take to get to the desired internal temp. So many variables come in to play. Sounds like they worked in your favor and you make your guests happy.

Hard to beat the good feelings that a successful cook brings about. Congrats.

Happy New Year!
Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Return to General Discussion