Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Horizontal Smoker?

Horizontal Smoker?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:46 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

For all that use a horizontal smoker I have a couple of questions. I have the Charbroil Silver Smoker (made by New Braunfels) very similar to the Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe.
Has anyone made the modifications I found on the Smokering? Do you agree with placing the thermometer lower to the grill as opposed to the higher placement the factory has it at?
Do you use a grate in the fireboxe for the coals or do you build your fire directly on the bottom of the firebox? I found the grate that came with the smoker is a litte small to hold a good amount of coals.
Any other suggestions or advice on using this type of smoker would be appreciated. I know Vinsect has this smoker. If you have any little tricks I would like to hear them.

Thanks all.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:55 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I could not log onto the smokering website to check out the mods you are talking about. I am in the process of modifying my smoker (oaklahoma joes) same as NB. I found a 20* difference on average from the stock location and the cooking grate . If you build the fire directly on the bottom of the firebox it will starve for oxygen and not burn properly. I use the stock grate and I am going to raise it a couple of inches. This should keep the ash from choking the coals on long cooks. I am also going to move my exhaust to below the cooking grate. In theory it should help keep an even temperature in the cooking chamber.

Good luck,
Eric

By the way if you search smoker modification on this site you can find the mods I am doing to my smoker

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:18 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Eric, check out a post I made ealier this month. The subject header was "New Smoker Question". Yardburner gave me some good links and there is one really good one. It is in a follow up to his post with the smokering link.

RichD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:02 am
Vinsect well done
well done

RichD,
Could you please post the link to those modifications? I'd love to see the ideas. It would be sweet to install a rotisserrie.
You can order more coal grates if you'd like more space. One thing I have done is turning the coal grates sideways to raise them closer to cooking grates when direct-heat grilling. I've also used smaller grates from other grills to lower the cooking grate to make beer-can chickens fit.
As for thermometer placement, I'm a recent Polder convert. For starters, search our messages for "Polder".
I've also been wanting to try installing a BBQ-Guru fan.
http://www.thebbqguru.com/
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:54 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

The links Yardburner posted are:

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

and

www.thesmokering.com

I like both but found there is a lot of information on the first link.

RichD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:41 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

That is essentially the same information I have just from a different site. I have the 4" pipe at house, just not the heart to cut open my smoker. Probably within the next couple of weeks now that the weather is nice.

Eric

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:35 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

RichD, Thanks for posting those links. I've read over a few of those modifications. Wish there were pics of some of them. There's a lot of info to go through there.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:01 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I spent a good deal of time at the first link today. I will probably make most of the modifications to help control the heat. Since I have access to a metal fabrication shop (my brother inlaw owns a sheet metal fabrication shop) and all the equipment I will probably make the more permanent mods.
One thing to consider though, if you just recently bought your smoker you may want to check the lenght of the factory warranty. Any modifications you make that require drilling a hole, cutiing the body or welding anything to the smoker will void the warranty.

RIchD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I am getting ready to do most of these smoker mods to my 5 YO Hondo. I think they call it the silver or something like that now. I will take pictures as I go and post them.

Sharky, got room for a couple of pics on your server?

As far as relocating the chimney hole. Try using a 12" piece of rolled up flashing inserted into the stack opening. Push it up and install your meat grate, then pull down the flashing until it touches the bars. You have just effectively lowered the stack almost 4" without cutting a hole.

The most dramatic change occurred when I raised the firebox grate height . Take an adjustable replacement charcoal or gas grill rock grate (you may have to cut it to fit) that is wide enough to raise the fire a couple of inches or so. This will increase the ash drop zone and allow the fire to breath MUCH better, This actually will allow you to build a smaller fire because cause it can BREATH. This makes temps easier to control as well.

If you are cooking a smaller portion and it will fit on one rack, remove the other rack and slide the remaining rack toward the firebox, lower the flashing tube even farther then move the grate until it touches the lowered stack tube. This will allow you to experiment with different stack opening heights before you suck it up and cut a hole in your smoker.

On the positive side, it’s not that hard to patch a hole on your smoker. Remember, if you move your stack you will have to patch the old one. Very few things cannot be undone. So be brave.

YB

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:47 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

You are correct YB they now call it the Silver Smoker. They market this same unit under the same name through Charbroil as well. In fact mine is the Charbroil version. No difference other than the name.
Curious question though, how much heat loss do you thin you will have by removing some of the ash to allow more air under the coals. I created quite a lot of ash for a 3 1/2 burn on Sunday.
As you suggest I will most likely make some temporary mods first to see how they work before making the permanent changes.
The next step is to design my own. With access to the shop it would be easy to fabricate. If I get around to it I'll post pics.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:18 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

This came to me last night. I'm wondering if an smoke stack that is adjustable to different internal hieghts would be helpful. I have an idea on how this could be done. Having the stack in the body adjustable would allow you to position the outflow where you want or need it in relation to the grates or food. This should give you a little more control of your chamber temp.
What do you think??

RichD

Return to General Discussion