Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion cherry cola sauce

cherry cola sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:30 pm
vkb2

I found a recipe for a cherry cola bbq sauce that is used on cedar planked salmon. Has anyone ever tried this before? Also how much different will it taste if I don't cook it on a plank?

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:01 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I've seen this done before and if I remember correctly the plank sits over the flames and smokes. It is the smoke that adds the flavor to the salmon so I don't beleive you would need to cook it on the plank unless you trying to impress someone. You could do it on a grill set up to smoke or to cook indrectly and simply add your wood chips to your coals. On a gas grill if your grill does not have a smoker box you can make a tinfoil pouch to hold your wood chips, just poke some holes in the top of the pouch to allow the smoke to get out.
You can use anykind of hardwood to get your smoke. I personally prefer a lighter tast for fish and would smoke with apple or cherry. I don't know how strong cedar is.
As to the sauce it sounds good. I would think that it would be good for other foods as well. Maybe you can post the recipe for us.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:16 pm
spfranz well done
well done

I've done cedar planked salmon and it's very good. Not as much of a heavy smoke flavor as you'd think. As the plank starts to char and smoke, most of it is on the edges of the plank so it doesn't get real smokey. Try it for yourself !

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:01 am
Vinsect well done
well done

From everything I've read you wouldn't want to actually burn cedar. Using it as a plank under your food is OK though.
But don't actually burn pine or cedar. Rick is probably our real authority on this.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:15 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

The cedar plank is usually soaked for a couple of hours then oiled and preheated.
Here is a recipe I found for this dish.

Ingredients

2 salmon fillets

2 thin untreated cedar planks

lots and lots of ginger, chopped

2 tablespoons lime or lemon zest, chopped fine

2 tablespoons orange zest, chopped fine

salt and pepper

Cajun or Creole spice mix

olive oil

Steps
This is a variant of a signature dish of Emeril Lagasse (of the TVFN fame).
The original recipe used horseradish and trout instead of ginger and salmon.
Preheat your grill and oil up one side of the cedar with your olive oil. Sprinkle a bit of the Cajun seasoning on the plank, and lay the filet of salmon on top. Season the filet with salt, pepper, and the spice mix. Cover the filet completely with the ginger and zest -- this adds flavor and helps the fish retain all of its moisture. Put the whole thing directly on the grill over the coals, close the lid, and stand back! The thing will smoke like crazy for a while. Check on the salmon after 15 minutes. If the plank catches on fire before the salmon is done, simply spray it with some water.
When the salmon is done, you can either serve the whole thing with the cedar flaming around the edges, or remove it from the cedar plank and serve.
You may wish to remove most of the crushed ginger topping as it is a bit overpowering.

You can use seasonings of you liking, but at least this is a general guideline to use.

RichD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:21 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

I've heard applewood planks are awesome too.
RichD, I've been wanting to try plank cooking for a while. Have you tried it yet?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:08 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I haven't had the opportunity myself. One of these days I'll get around to it though.

RichD

Return to General Discussion