Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork

Pork Shoulder for Pulled Pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:11 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Has anyone done the pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches in HTG?
Let me know how it turned out. How big, cooking time & temp etc.
I am going to do two of them in a couple of weeks for a party. Since I won't hvae time to do it the day of I am going to do it a day ahead and carefully reheat the next day.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD you ought to get a lot of feedback on this one. This is a very good samich!!! They "do ahead" quite well. more important than the amount of time that you cook a pork shoulder is the temperature that you cook it to. I cook mine at 225-250 degrees, basting once an hour, until they reach 195 degrees internal temperature. Mine take somewhere between 8 to 10 hours depending on how loaded my smoker is.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:23 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks Bob-BQN. I look forward to hearing from everyone.
I figured it would take a while so I took off the day before. I'm not sure if I'll have anything else in the smoker or not yet.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:31 pm

i have no input but please let us know how it turns out. Man you are making me hungry!

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:49 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Sounds like a plan. Most of what you need to know is right there in your book. I would however suggest you get yourself some good insulated rubber gloves to pull the meat, and I highly reccomend pulling the meat as opposed to chopping it even though it takes longer. Also, do not discard any of the brown stuff, THIS IS THE GOOD PART. If you like, you can seperate the Mr. Brown from the white meat and have a variety of blends. Say, some all white, some a mix and some mostly Mr. Brown. Give the all white to kids and people that don't know any better. I cook mine with the fat cap on top throughout the process. As a matter of fact, I'm cooking one tomorrow so I can bring some for Steve to try at my cooking class with him Wednesday night. :D

In general, it's not terribly hard. Just make sure your temps are steady (210-250) and that you mop regularly. Also, if you have a water smoker USE THE WATER PAN. It will add moisture and provide a thermal mass to even out temp spikes. Even if you don't have a water smoker, find some room for a foil tray full of water.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:12 pm
spfranz well done
well done

let it go until the meat hits 195. It will get someplace around 160 and then just sit there for a while. Don't freak out, this is a good thing. Let it stay at 160-165 as long as it needs.

Steve's recipe is quite good. Just make sure you allow for much longer cooking times as they can really vary with pork shoulders and mine always take longer than what it says in HTG.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:20 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Steve’s time is fairly accurate for a grill. If you’re planning on using a smoker, it will take much longer time. Grills tend to run at higher temp (even during indirect grilling) than smokers. I do agree with 195 degrees though, the pork has to reach that temp in order for it to pull.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:34 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Sorry Z, my mistake. HTG does say 4-6 hours at medium low which would be around 300 degrees. Which brings up a question for me. I've always done mine at a low temp in a smoker (200-220 degrees). Has anyone done both? I'm just curious as to the difference (if there is one).

Hmmm, sounds like there may be an experiment coming my way one of these next weekends.

Scott

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:15 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Thanks for the input. Air I will definitely pull it instead of chopping it. After all it is pulled pork right?? Since I have a horizontal smoker I don't have an actual water pan, but I will take your advice and put a pan by the heat.
I was planning on having the smoker up to temp and the pork on by 8:30 AM. I figure this will give me plenty of time. I am going to do two of them.
Scott, how long at your temp of 200 - 220 did it take to reach 195?

RichD

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:15 am
spfranz well done
well done

I've had them finish in 8 hours, also gone as long as 18. Not sure why the huge difference. Maybe the weight, maybe sleight temperature fluctuations, maybe fat content. I don't try to time them any more, I just figure they'll go until they're done.

Scott

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:17 am
Airfoils well done
well done

spfranz wrote:
Sorry Z, my mistake. HTG does say 4-6 hours at medium low which would be around 300 degrees. Which brings up a question for me. I've always done mine at a low temp in a smoker (200-220 degrees). Has anyone done both? I'm just curious as to the difference (if there is one).

Hmmm, sounds like there may be an experiment coming my way one of these next weekends.

Scott

Hi Scott, I think the answer you're seeking is one you already suspect to be the case and that is, the meat is tougher, harder to pull and not as full of flavor. I've done a number of them both ways in my WSM and my kettle. If I have the time and motivation, doing them in the WSM is the way to go but getting up early to get things started is difficult sometimes when you like to stay up late playing online war games :twisted: . You literally have to pull apart the meat when you do it quicker, but when its given the proper time/temp, it almost disintegrates into a mound of heavenly deliciousness with little effort.

Return to General Discussion