Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Does anybody have-use the smokey mountain 3600g smoker?

Does anybody have-use the smokey mountain 3600g smoker?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Just received the smokey mountain series 3600g gas smoker made by the great outdoors. Does anybody out there in BBQ land use one? I am looking for some feedback on this unit. I used it this weekend for the first time and smoked some spareribs ( A++++) MMM good. If anyone has experience with one i have a few questions :) .

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:54 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

bigkahuna83 welcome to the board.

If you check out my "WWW" link you'll see lots of good grub that my Smoky Mountain Great Outdoors Series 3600g gas smoker has cranked out.

I recently purchased a 3600 charcoal version as well, but am waiting on parts from the manufacturer before using it.

What would you like to know? Maybe I can help.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:15 pm

what is/ where can i get your link?
thanks

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:17 pm

oops nevermind, I found it, thanks i will be in touch

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:12 pm

BBQ BOB & anyone else who cares to comment.

are there any hot spots in your smoker or does it cook evenly?

How often do you need to change wood?

Do you replace all wood or just add a little at a time?

How long on average does each tank last?

Your site is GREAT, I bookmarked it and will be checking it out often :)

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:03 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

bigkahuna83,
I’ve had the same smoker for over a year now and I love it. I have not noticed any hot spots in it. The manufacture does say however, that food placed above the water pan will be in a cooler spot (makes sense). As far as how long the tank will last, the manufacture claims that it would last about 20 hours. That would also depend on the temp you’re cooking at. My first tank lasted much longer than 20 hours. One thing I noticed on this smoker, once you open the door, you will loose heat very quickly. It does recover fairly quickly though. On a positive note, it’s so easy to control the temp in this smoker.
I usually use wood chunks in my smoker. I soak them for few hours prior to use. Then I place them in the smoke box without the lid. I get much more smoke out of them this way (personal observation). I also place three disposable loaf foil pans in the bottom of the smoker (2 on either side if the burner and one in the back). These foil pans serve couple of purposes. One, they catch all the dripping and make cleaning much easer. Two that gives me a place to empty the smoke box while holing onto the few pieces of embers inside the smoker. I think these pieces of embers contribute to the flavor.
This smoker has not let me down yet. It turned out many good meals for family and friends. Experiment with yours and enjoy it. You’ve made a good choice.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z, good advice. I'll have to remember the loaf pan tip. I've been making huge messes lately with all the briskets.

I haven't noticed any hotspots either. It cooks fairly evenly throughout. As a rule of thumb I place larger cuts at the top since it is a few degrees warmer.

For wood, I bought bags of small split logs. Then I split the logs further into smaller sticks about 3/4" this and 4" long. I do this because I'll add a little new wood every hour for fresh smoke. This allows me to add it before all the embers are gone from the previous wood. I used to add all the wood in the first two or three hours, but the wife said the food tastes better this way. And as everyone knows, it's all about pleasing the wife. :wink:

When I bought this smoker I opted to get a larger tank. Instead of the usual 20lb I have a 30lb. (the larger the better). If you have natural gas available there are adapter kits. All the food in my photos, up to the 5 coke can chickens, was cooked on a single tank of gas. Over the 4 month period I wouldn’t be able to guess how many hours it burned. This tank I’ll be able to track because of the cooking logs I keep. As BBcue-Z mentioned, the gas lasts longer than the manufacturer suggests, as I cook on medium to keep temps around 225 degrees. You’d burn it up a lot faster on higher settings.

I’ve never had any complaints about the food from this smoker. We’ll see how this Saturday goes though. 150-200 ladies and girls at a mother-daughter banquet will be critiquing my brisket.

Have fun with your new smoker and stick around!!!

Post Fri May 28, 2004 8:58 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

To Bob and all how own this kind of smoker,
Now that I know how to post pictures, I wanted to show you guys how I keep this smoker clean and easy to clean. As you can imagine, this smoker will get quit messy when cooking a brisket or Boston butt.
Note: I don’t usually leave the lid on the firebox during cooking.

Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:52 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z that's a great idea. I've been trying to locate an automotive drip pan to place under the smoker because I've had so much grease dripping and running all over the back porch. I've had to scrub down the porch several times. Been scraping the bottom out with a plastic bondo applicator. We have some of those foil loaf pans in the store room. I'll give this a try the next big smoke! :D Thanks.

Post Sat May 29, 2004 2:48 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Also try this new BBQ Mat; it’ll save you a lot of scrubbing:
http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product. ... e=keywords

Post Sun May 30, 2004 9:51 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Z that mat would work for me if I was dealing with one brisket. But when I do four briskets at a time, I need something with a lip to catch the run-off. We're talkin' about a quart of melted fat or better. It makes a huge mess.

Maybe the combination of the foil pans and the make together may tame the beast. I'll give the foil pans a go the next big smoke and then make the call. Thanks again.

Return to General Discussion