Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoke flavor

Smoke flavor

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:06 am
Smokecoat rare
rare

I smoked some pork chops yesterday, using Steve's Bourbon-brine recipe. I smoked them indirect over hickory for 20 min, then direct for about 8 min.

In the end they were very good, but the smoke flavor that was imparted, which was very good, eliminated the rest of the marinade flavors. Moreover, I couldn't help but think that the pork now tasted like just about any other cut of meat that was smoked.

Is this just me? Is it just the hickory that I used? Any other thoughts on this subject?

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:26 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Smokecoat I've done the same recipe "HTG page 127" a couple times. Once I used pecan which is milder than hickory and I've also used apple to provide the smoke, but I cooked mine over direct heat only. I probably didn't impart as much smoke using the direct method so I was able to taste the flavors from the brine (except we skipped the Bourbon). I don't use a lot of wood when grilling because of the short amount of time meat is on the grill vs a smoker.

I usually don't rinse the chops after they've brined. I like the extra flavor.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:23 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Chops and steaks expose a lot of surface to the smoke. This makes it easy to over season.

Try smoking a loin and one chop at the same time and the chop will almost be inedible and the loin with it's smoke ring around the outside will be just right.

Also you might cutting back on the amount of wood you use when doing chops. a little smoke goes a long way on a "little" cut of meat.

YB

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:06 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

I've made this same mistake several times.

Cut back the wood and you'll be good to go.

Return to General Discussion