Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Rotiserrie Turkey

Rotiserrie Turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:35 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'v got a turkey in a 5 gallon bucket-o-funky brine, for on the rotisserie for Sunday dinner. Looking for tips as to temp and time and wood type. I have apple, hickory, maple, cherry, and mesquite on hand.
This is a first for me (turkey on a rotiss. so I thought I'd ask.
Thanks

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:57 pm
Big D well done
well done

what type of Brine?

I actually did a small turkey on the rotisserie today.. I have used a maple glaze with my tukeys for a while.... I decided to use maple wood chips to smoke....

Mine was a small turkey so it took only a couple hours... glazed it for the last half hour... was really good..I actually like to soak cheescloath in butter and stuff it into the turkey once I put it on the spit which keeps the turkey incredibly moist.....

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:10 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Grand,
See my post under “turkey drumsticks/beer can turkey”. If you want a moist turkey breast, try the pork fat method I described. I assure you, you won’t be disappointed. As far as wood, I usually use mesquite with the turkey. Some may disagree, but I like strong smoke flavor and the tanginess that mesquite gives the turkey.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:14 am
Craig medium-rare
medium-rare

Hey Grand, hope all is well. As far as the wood goes, I personnally think that hickory is a little too pronounced for a bird. The apple or cherry however, will impart a more smooth flavor. Don't forget to baste often. Hope this helps.
Craig

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:32 am
Airfoils well done
well done

How big is the turkey, how strong is the motor?

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:28 am
chagan well done
well done

Haven't picked up my 22.5 rotisserie as yet so I can't give a time estimate, but I like the subtle flavor of apple, as Craig points out, with the feathered ones. I do like mesquite or hickory when I do the Buffa-que wings however- wings can take a little more pronounced smoke I believe.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:58 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I mostly do apple and stuff the bird with apples as well.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:16 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well let me start by saying that my Sunday Turkey Dinner was very tasty. Out of a 15 pound turkey I had a sandwich bag of leftovers. But the execution could have gone better.

I brined the bird in the "Funky" brine that I've posted here before ala Emeril. It was in about 24 hours. Then I used metal skewers to sinch up the bird. Put it on the rotiss., rubbed it in oil and seasoning and on the grill she went. was planning on 15 mins a pound at high indirect heat (I kenpt it around 350+/-). I used mesquite wood in the smoker.

1 hour in...things looked great.
At the top of the second hour my bird BROKE. The turkey split at the spine between the legs and breast! It looked like it was dancing on the rotiss.!
So out came the rotiss. back in went the grates and I forged ahead.
About 2.5 to 3 hours in I check the temp I'm at 160! And the bird looks done.
Now I knew that it wasn't going to take another hour to gain 20 degrees so I cut all temp but my smoker and finished the bird on time at low.

And all was well.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:04 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

G.S. did you truss the turkey?

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:49 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The only thing I did was to use the typical poultry skewers to hold in the wings and legs. What do you mean by "truss" was that it or is there more or better ways about it.
This was my first rotiss. bird. And it won't be my last!
So pointers are apprecited.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:17 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
The only thing I did was to use the typical poultry skewers to hold in the wings and legs. What do you mean by "truss" was that it or is there more or better ways about it.
This was my first rotiss. bird. And it won't be my last!
So pointers are apprecited.

I think that's why his bird broke Bob. It doesn't appear as though he trussd it first. GS you need to get some trussing needles and butchers string. They're pretty cheap, under $5.00.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:56 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand, I've never rotissed either so I won't profess to know it all. On one of Steven's programs he did some rotisserie chicken. He trussed it with some butcher string and commented that “it” would keep the bird from flopping around. I would imagine that the flopping would be worse with a larger bird. HTG has instructions and photos on how to truss a chicken (can remember if it has directions for a turkey). I’ll bet if you’ll rope that calf next time you try to rustle one that it’ll hold together better. :wink:

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:32 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Thanks guys I'll have to go to the book tonight to check it out. My intent withthe skewers was to truss I guess but I didn't use string, thereby not providing the right support....kinda like a turkey bra I guess...

Return to General Discussion