Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chimney Starter

Chimney Starter

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:26 pm
Barbq43 rare
rare

Is one chimney starter enough to cook with full of lump charcoal in a 22.5" weber kettle grill. It seems that when I dump the coal, it only took about a fourth to half of the grate, should it been covered 100%, just like in Steve's book (how to grill).
Any help whould be appriciated. thanks

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:42 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I say get as many as you can afford, or as many as your grill can hold coals. It also depends on what you’re cooking. If you’re slow cooking, you don’t want to pack the grill with too much coals, then the temp will go way above what you need. I personally own two chimneys and I use both often. Another way to get around getting two chimneys is to use one chimney to light up charcoal briquettes, and then adding lumps after dumping the briquettes in the grill.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:39 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the board Barbq43.

I found that two starters are better than one. On several occasions I've had to use two.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:58 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Yes, lump will burn down more than briquets in the chimney since it's a hotter fire and the fuel isn't as dense. Even still, I find that 1 chimney of lump is usually enough to grill dinner for my family of 4. Personally, I would never cover 100% of the bottom of the grill with coals because I like to maintain a safe cool zone that I can move food too if need be. Sometimes I use the warning rack for this, but being able to move food to different heat zones is definitely an advantage in turning out good food. All that said, I have 3 and on occasion use them all when I have both of my 22 1/2" kettle going.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:56 pm

Thanks for all of the info. This web site will diffently be a benefit....

Return to General Discussion