Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Weber Ranch Kettle

Weber Ranch Kettle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:21 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

hickory pete wrote:
Airfoils,
I have a Weber Poultry Roaster that was given to me as a Christmas present, and it is one of my favorites. All the surfaces, including the Base Cup, that come in contact with food/drippings are coated, and that makes clean-up a breeze. As Chagan has pointed out, it has a tray that catches all of the drippings. The base adds stability that, in my opinion, makes it pretty easy to use. It has to be hand washed, and not to be put in the dishwasher. There are plus and minus', but for me, I think it is great..just my opinion. :D Pete

Yes, thanks, I am aware of its features, what I am wondering is why I haven't tried one yet? :?

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

Biggest wrote:
Isn't the standard 22.5 kettle about 9.5" also?

Not sure of the exact measurement, but I have done beer can osrs (oven stuffer roasters) on it without any problem with clearance. I have doubt with my math skills now that I fumbled on the ranch kettle. It is kinda hard to measure, unless someone out there has half a 22.5 lid out there so as to insert a measuring device of some kind. (if you do, let me know-we need to talk) I will however go home today and measure from the grate to the rim and the depth of the lid and let ya'll know because I am so fond of you guys :wink:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:41 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

It would be kind of hard to measure the inside of a kettle. I guess I am going with experience, If Airfoils and Chagan have no trouble with beer can chickens, I strongly suspect that I won't either.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:32 am
Vinsect well done
well done

When doing multiple beer can chix, you might also consider taking out the grate and inserting a grate with a smaller diameter to fit lower or using blocks to support the chix at whatever height would fit best under the lid.
If your really handy with tools or know someone who is... a metal band could be made to go between the lid and the bowl to lift it higher much like the rottisserie for the 22 1/2" model. In fact, while your at it... a rotisserie for a grill that size might be worth making. You might fit a whole side of beef on it (OK, maybe a whole pig anyway).
When I've done beer-can chix on my horizontal smoker, I had to substitute my regular grates for smaller grates from another grill. That lowered the chix so they fit under the hood.
Creativity is the only real limit and there's no shortage of that in this group.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Previous

Return to General Discussion