Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Need Hamburger Help!

Need Hamburger Help!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:40 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

hotchef I'll have to refer you to Grand Scale. The "heartstoppers" are his and I haven't tried them yet. Sorry.

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

hotchef - you're right, the proportions are simple. I can honestly tell you that there are none. It simply is up to you. I know thats not much help, but then again I don't keep a BBQ log either. I've never made these bad boys in the same quantity to develo a specific proportion. Try just adding cheese and ketchup to taste and you should be fine. Those in my mind are the only two ingredients that would have an effect n the burgers stability. I would say that based on what you said of your past you're adding too much liquid. What liquid are you adding anyway?
Good Luck

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:31 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Sorry Grand. Didn't mean to give credit for your recipe to someone else. I can't exactly remember what the recipe my grandfater gave me was but it looks something like this.

1 1/2 slices of damp bread
2 lbs ground beef
worcesteshire
ketchup
pepper
garlic salt
one drop liquid smoke

I think there was one more ingredient. His are incredible but mine have turned out like sloppy joes soaked in water. Yuck.

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:25 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm stumped as to why they'd be sloppy like that. My only guess would be too much ketchup. In fact try saving the ketchup until the burgers are cooked. You don't need it as a binder.

Maybe someone else will have an idea...

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:35 pm
hotchef well done
well done

Update: I made hamburgers last night and they were incredible. I used very small amounts of ketchup, worcesteshire, salt, pepper, and montreal steak seasoning in 1 pound of ground sirloin. Made the patties and then put a slice of lemon butter (butter made SR's way without taragon) in the middle. Grilled them on medium high for 13 minutes with a chunk of hickory for good measure. Turned out great. Never realized how much the butter in the middle made a difference. Thanks for all your help. My wife loved them but of course I can't leave well enough alone. I am already trying to think of a way to improve them.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:02 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad Everything worked out.
Keep experimenting....don't worry about "leaving well enough alone"!
If you didn't tinker how would anyone every come up with new ideas.
Plus its part of the fun.

Also don't dismiss just plain old burgers. I made some burgers this weekend at a friends just plain. Meat...period. I ate mine with ketchup. Pure, simple, juicy, excellent.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:30 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Liquid smoke is cheating :wink:

Grand Scale wrote:
Also don't dismiss just plain old burgers. I made some burgers this weekend at a friends just plain. Meat...period. I ate mine with ketchup. Pure, simple, juicy, excellent.

OMG! GS discovers the virtues of sometimes 'less is more'. Everybody look quick before he edits it! :lol:

The problem I have sometimes is making burgers too juicy. I have had people ruin their clothes biting into one of mine as the juice comes shooting out! Now I know it sounds like bragging but there really is a thing as too juicy so now I lightly squeeze out just a little with my spatula. I know you shouldn't, but if I don't my first bite will drench my plate with burger juice and run into my sides.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:34 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

But they were still over 1/2 pound apiece!!

More still is more!!

Previous

Return to General Discussion