Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint What about Chicago area?

What about Chicago area?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:35 am
2TORTUGA rare
rare

What about the best BBQ in Chicago? I'll be heading there in October and I'm looking for some goooooood BBQ. Any help?
Saratoga, NY
Weber One Touch Silver Kettle
Weber Summit Gold D

Post Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:33 pm
Ghost_of_winter medium-well
medium-well

Hmm.,...GOOD BBQ you want? Well around these parts they consider ribs that have been boiled and then broiled to be GREAT ribs, so I don't know of many places that stand out in my mind. the only place I can whole haertedly reccomend is the Weber Restaurant. While this isn't BBQ like you are really asking it's the best I can think of.

Post Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've heard good things about a place called "Bub's" or "Uncle Bub's"; I believe it's in one of the western 'burbs like Downers Grove or Darien. No personal experience, though.

Brad

Post Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Fat Willys is all you need to know. The best BBQ in Chicago

Post Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:49 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

It ain't traditional BBQ, but Chicago has a Fogo de Chao, and not every city does.
You won't be dissapointed !! http://www.fogodechao.com

Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:34 pm
just some guy

Carson's Ribs in downtown Chicago, or Fat Willys, but if your looking for a local spot try Parks on Archer Ave, about a half block east of Harlem Ave. They have great rib tips at Parks. But by all means, avoid The Patio resturant chains, boiled n broiled there, and still tough a shoe leather.

Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:40 am
medium-well

sure go to carsons if you like boiled then broiled ribs. ;)

Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:08 pm
FourSeasonsBob

Try the Fireside Inn on the near northside of Chicago (1700? North Wells St.)

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:54 pm
bbqbob

first off carsons doesnt boil the ribs.they might not be very good but no boiling here.try merles in evanston,smoke daddy on division or fat willys.merles is the best,they use souther pride smokers.good eating

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:40 pm
medium-well

last time I looked as well I didnt see a smoker within BLOCKS of carsons. broiled all the way there.....

Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:35 pm

While we rule the known universe with great restarants, there is no smokehouse BBQ to be had here in the windy city.

Best options are and I dont pretend to think they are very good are:
Hecky's - Evanston
Hillary's - Waukegan
Barnelly's - in most Portillos (Parboiled and chared with sauce, but good)
Famous Daves- not true Chicago and can be found anywhere USA

Maybe one one the south side fellas has something better to offer-

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:23 pm

Baby Back Blues in Plainfield, RT 30 West of I55. Slow cooked. not boiled.

the best in the city.

They only make so many a day, and when theyre gone, they are gone

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And that's the way it should be.
Do it right and when you you can't do it right, Quit.

Serving less than your best undermines your efforts.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:03 pm
Attrill well done
well done

I thought Weber would be a gimmicky place, but it is the real deal. They know what they're doing. Fogo De Chao is awesome, lunch is much less expensive than dinner. Calvin's is a great place (I can smell the hickory smoke in my backyard, they are definitely a real smoked place). Smoke Daddy on Division is good NC style BBQ. Honey 1 on Western is really good. Fat Willy's is really good.

Some of the best places aren't "BBQ" places. A lot of mexican restaurants have grills or wood ovens and you can get some wonderful foods that are smoked, but aren't what you would normally consider BBQ. There's also a great Cuban grilled steak sandwich stand on Milwaukee Ave. just south of the California El stop. And of course there's the Elotes! Grilled corn sold by vendors pushing grill carts around the neighborhood. They're all over some neighborhoods. If you walk on Milwaukee Ave. between the California and Western El stops on a nice weekend day you're bound to see one.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Truly, Chicago lacks good bbq. In the downtown area, Fat Willy's is your best bet - and is quite solid. They've got solid pulled pork, brisket, and outstanding hot links (really). The ribs are solid, but I've had better. Fireplace Inn, Twin Anchors, Carsons and the other Chicago-style bbq places really don't cut it.

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint