Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion indirect cooking temp question

indirect cooking temp question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:34 pm
Maggie

HI, I just found this site and am amazed at the info. I'm new at BBQing and would like to know . . when indirect cooking on a gas grill, what temp. is used? Hi, Med or low? thanks.

Maggie

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:05 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Maggie and welcome. That depends greatly on the food you are cooking. Pick up a copy of Steve's How to Grill. It will answer many of your questions and provide you with hours of entertainment at the flame. Be sure and get a hardcover though because the soft covers start to fall apart almost the day you buy them.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:30 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Welcome Maggie!

I agree that if you're new to grilling you shojuld buy Steven's book to learn the basics. Once you read and try some of the stuff in there, you'll be more comfortable and will be producing really good results. In the meantime, tell us what you want to cook and we can give you the info.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:37 pm

Thanks! I want to start with roasting a whole chicken. How?

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:46 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks! I want to start with roasting a whole chicken. How?

I'm not a gas griller and I am sure someone that is will chime in but I think it's safe to say medium is where you want to be for about 1:20 or until the therm is 170-180 in the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:53 pm
chagan well done
well done

Hi Maggie, welcome aboard! Follow the instructions under the Techniques and Recipies section for a beer can chicken. You will fire up one side of the grill to medium and place the chicken on the opposite side of the grill. You may skip the wood chips portion if you don't have any available, if you do have some or can get some wrap them up in a foil pouch with a couple of holes punched in the top to let the smoke out. This is not entirely required and you will have a great chicken regardless. The rest of the info is in the Recipe section. Good Luck!

PS Hey Airfoils.........

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:29 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Howdy Maggie welcome to the discussion group! You're in the right place as we all love cooking those chickens. In case you haven't been able to locate it, the link that chagan was referring to IS HERE.

"How to Grill" is a great book and the basis for much of my outdoor cooking. It's a 'must have' for a great beginning!

Hope to see you around!

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:41 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I would definitly suggest you get Steve's book "How To Grill" I don't think I have put mine down since I got it. and, yes I would also recomend the hardcover. I split the spine on mine almost immediately.
I made the beer can chicken the other day and was very pleased with how it came out.
While I did the chickens in my smoker I have roasted them in a gas grill with the burner on medium. I would suggest a small block of wood that you can place between the grill top and bottom to allow you to keep the lid slightly open. This will give you some amount of control over your heat. Just make sure you put the wood away from the lit burner.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:47 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Hi Maggie,

Welcome to the site. I agree with all the suggestions about the "How To Grill" book. There's a lot of good information in the book, as well as this site. Hope you enjoy it here. :)

Pete

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:31 pm

I did the beer can chicken over the weekend and it was the best I ever made. thanks.

Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:07 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Maggie, good to hear that it went well. Thanks for the report.

Return to General Discussion