Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thermometer

Thermometer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:39 pm
Biggest rare
rare

I was looking for a thermometer for my new weber. Lowes sells a char-broil therm. that has about a 2" spike and barbeques galore has teh big green egg thermometer that has about a 4" spike. Does anybody have (+,-) experiences with either?

I want one that goes to 700 degrees and mounts to the lid. I figured that about 3" up from the edge and 45 degrees around from the vents would be the best place (from reading the other post).

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:44 pm
chagan well done
well done

Either one should do, however you don't need a 4 inch spike- that might just get in the way of larger food items. Your placement sounds correct- get it as close to the grates as possible while still comfortable to read at a glance. I would put it at 90 degrees from the vent so that it is halfway between the side with the vent and the side without. Make sure that after you drill you apply some high heat grill paint to the bare metal asap, then let it dry a while before installing the thermometer. Make sure that you clean the spike regularly for consistant readings. Once you have the themometer installed it is a quick job to replace it as necessary as they are cheap enough. Good luck, and welcome to the board!

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:59 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Biggest, while chagan and I agree on many things, this isn't one of them :lol: If I were you I would avoid drilling through the baked on enamel if possible. The way I do it is, I just stick it in the vent. Yep, my reading this way is hotter than grill level but I know that grill level is cooler and subtract accordingly. If you absolutely have to have an integrated therm, another route would be to buy a Weber Performer lid which has one built in.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:04 pm
chagan well done
well done

Airfoils is incorrect, we don't agree on anything :lol: If you do the stick the thermo in the vent deal Biggest, do what Airfoils says and measure the temp at grate level too and subtract the difference to get a formula for a somewhat accurate measurement. I haven't had any problems with my self installed thermo except that I didn't install it where it should have been placed. :cry: Now you have some deciding to do- more options are better than not enough I always say, well.....I don't ALWAYS say......maybe once in a while.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:47 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Hey there Biggest,

Funny you should post this today. I was online looking for a thermometer for my smoker and I found this site www.teltru.com
I think they may have what you are looking for. They have a model that goes to 750. They also have one with a faceplate that glows in low light conditions. I know I will be placing an order tonight.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:18 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

Last weekend I was pulled kicking and screaming to the mall by the wife. You know what I'm talking about.

Anyway Crate and Barrel has a grill thermostat that just sits on the grill. Simple and movable. I'm not the biggest Crate and Barrel fan, but so far it's been pretty good.

Take a looksee - you'll have to go into the store I guess.

But in the meantime, I like this color.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/4167_0.asp?query=lifestyle&Page=grilling.asp&fromLocation=Lifestyle

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:39 pm
Biggest rare
rare

The thermometer at crate and barrel is basically an oven thermometer. Not bad but it requires you to lift the lid to see the temperature - not quite what I was looking for but still nice.

thanks

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:42 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Reidmid wrote:
Anyway Crate and Barrel has a grill thermostat that just sits on the grill. Simple and movable. I'm not the biggest Crate and Barrel fan, but so far it's been pretty good.

There are a few problems with that type though:
1. You need to open the grill & loose heat to check the temp.
2. Doing long smokes will coat it a hard to clean smoke film, and you might not even be able to see the temp
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:44 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

The thermometers I found at www.tel-tru.com are designed to be mounted through a hole in the lid of your grill or smoker. They have a variety of styles to meet different situations and seem to be well made.
You can try this too, if you have a small hole in the lid of your grill or smoker you can insert the stem of an instant read thermometer through the hole to get a reading on your grill's temperature. Just make sure the sensor stem isn't touching any of the food.

RichD

Return to General Discussion