Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Direct grilling Q

Direct grilling Q

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:24 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Posts: 394
Location: Missouri, St. Peters
smoke wrote:
Forget the steak for a moment, anybody who wants their steak cooked medium or medium well is just simply trying to defy nature so there is no hope for them.

Like I said, I work in a joint, and you ought to see what they do to a steak when somebody orders it medium or medium well. It's just like telling the chef to ruin a piece of meat for me because I don't like the way God intended it to be cooked.

However there is a slight bit of respect for the rare customer who orders well done.


What exactly are you saying? That GOD intended for man to eat steak well done?

Why don't you enlighten us as to the commercial chef's cooking practices? I don't dine out very often, but I do.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:55 pm
smoke rare
rare

Posts: 26
no, medium rare. It takes no skill or special practice ot cook a steak medium rare. Hot fire is better, but a medium fire will also cook a steak medium rare. If the steak is good, no seasoning is required.

It's when you start working with a bad cut of meat, or when somebody wants it cooked medium and on down that you start having challenges.

Mainly what they will do is lay the spatula hard on top of the steak and whatever juice was in there comes pouring down on the fire creating high flames which adds a touch of flare to the kitchen.

The reasoning behind this is, "It cooks faster and what difference does it make? They already ordered it medium."

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:03 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Posts: 394
Location: Missouri, St. Peters
Gotcha. I will agree that a good piece of meat needs no seasoning (or very little s+p) and should be cooked medium rare as well.

Unfortunately many times when I've asked for medium rare, I invaribly recieve a steak which has been seared on the outside, but is either raw or cold in the middle. Now, I just ask for a steak with medium doneness to get what *I* really want. Now, I realize this has everything to do with the experience and knowledge of the cook and not the cut of meat.

Which is why I always come back to the fact that I can make it myself at home and get exactly what I want.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:25 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Posts: 681
Location: Beautiful St. Mary's County, Maryland
smoke wrote:
I just assume nobody ever takes me seriously. When they do I never know whether to play with them or feel sorry for them.

Forget the steak for a moment, anybody who wants their steak cooked medium or medium well is just simply trying to defy nature so there is no hope for them.


Smoke,

Just a little feriendly advice. Youi're a newbie around here, so let me help you out a little. If you want people to take you seriously, stop stating your personal opinions as if they were truth from on high. You just embarrass yourself. :oops: I prefer my steak medium-rare, but I don't assume that anyone who prefers theirs cooked medium, or even well-done is stupid or hopeless. It's just that their taste is different from mine.

I would giess that you don't work in a quality restaurant, because they generally respect their customers even when they disagree with them. I've been in some top-line steak houses and the only caveat they have is "We cannot guarantee the quality if a steak cooked well-done."

BTW - I notice you say you're "practically a vegitarian". If that's so, spare us your thoughts about cooking and eating meat.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:55 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Consider me, fat, dumb, & happy, cause I like my steak medium to meduim-well. :D And I guess I always will :wink: . If anyone else wants their steak differently, I'll do the best I can to cook it the way they like.

As mentioned in previous posts: "If you're paying for it or if you're cooking it, you should get it the way you want it." I'd never expect everyone to like exactly what I do, not even from my own children. I do expect them to give it a try and be honest.
Image

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:51 am
smoke rare
rare

Posts: 26
PaulP wrote:
smoke wrote:
I just assume nobody ever takes me seriously. When they do I never know whether to play with them or feel sorry for them.

Forget the steak for a moment, anybody who wants their steak cooked medium or medium well is just simply trying to defy nature so there is no hope for them.


Smoke,

Just a little feriendly advice. Youi're a newbie around here, so let me help you out a little. If you want people to take you seriously, stop stating your personal opinions as if they were truth from on high. You just embarrass yourself. :oops: I prefer my steak medium-rare, but I don't assume that anyone who prefers theirs cooked medium, or even well-done is stupid or hopeless. It's just that their taste is different from mine.

I would giess that you don't work in a quality restaurant, because they generally respect their customers even when they disagree with them. I've been in some top-line steak houses and the only caveat they have is "We cannot guarantee the quality if a steak cooked well-done."

BTW - I notice you say you're "practically a vegitarian". If that's so, spare us your thoughts about cooking and eating meat.


No Paul, I don't want anyone to take me seriously. I want to express my opinions as if they were truth on high, and then others can find fault with them. And no, the joint I work in is certainly not quality.

I am practically a vegetarian because I have cooked more than my fair share of meat, and I simply pass on my expertise to those of you who are less evolved and still enjoy eating chemically saturated flesh.

Don't thank me, It's the least I can do for humanity. Speaking of caveats, when I was a kid I went to Ted's Steakhouse in Chicago. They had a sign, "Please do not order steaks well done" So naturally I ordered one well done. The chef smiled. He had one grilling there all day long just waiting for me.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:49 pm
chagan well done
well done

Posts: 1350
Location: Central NJ by way of NY
Just because plants don't scream (that we can hear) doesn't mean they don't feel pain :cry: And chemically saturated??- I don't know if you've been to a garden center lately but they aren't selling water, fresh air, and sunlight.
Image

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:51 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Posts: 1063
Just ignore him like veryone does me :lol:

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:53 pm
chagan well done
well done

Posts: 1350
Location: Central NJ by way of NY
No one ignores you Air, and I like your new sig pic- can't wait to get home :)
Image

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:05 pm
Big D well done
well done

Posts: 616
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why overcook it so its rare...

gotta have it blue... 15 secs on each side, nice and cool still in the middle...

If they'd let me I'd eat it right off the cow while it was still in the fields....

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:09 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Big D my brother-in-law likes his the same way!
Image

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:13 pm
Big D well done
well done

Posts: 616
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hey what ever floats your boat.. but as for being mistreated because you like it medium I get more stares when I order 'blue' than I would if I was a cross-dresser at a GOP convention holding a Gore won sign...

although I once ordered blue at a steakhouse in montreal and the chef came out and shook my hand and gave me a very nice Cohiba Primida Limited Edition Cuban Cigar (retail of $75),,, I thought that was funny.....

Just a cool story, I had Emperors Old Bones when I was in China... the fish is sooo raw it is actually still breathing when they serve it!

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:11 am
chagan well done
well done

Posts: 1350
Location: Central NJ by way of NY
Big D, you don't need a grill, you need a spear :)
Image

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:32 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Posts: 1063
chagan wrote:
Big D, you don't need a grill, you need a spear :)


Hehehe, and a lighter! :lol:

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:16 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Posts: 681
Location: Beautiful St. Mary's County, Maryland
smoke wrote:
PaulP wrote:
smoke wrote:
I just assume nobody ever takes me seriously. When they do I never know whether to play with them or feel sorry for them.

Forget the steak for a moment, anybody who wants their steak cooked medium or medium well is just simply trying to defy nature so there is no hope for them.


Smoke,

Just a little feriendly advice. Youi're a newbie around here, so let me help you out a little. If you want people to take you seriously, stop stating your personal opinions as if they were truth from on high. You just embarrass yourself. :oops: I prefer my steak medium-rare, but I don't assume that anyone who prefers theirs cooked medium, or even well-done is stupid or hopeless. It's just that their taste is different from mine.

I would giess that you don't work in a quality restaurant, because they generally respect their customers even when they disagree with them. I've been in some top-line steak houses and the only caveat they have is "We cannot guarantee the quality if a steak cooked well-done."

BTW - I notice you say you're "practically a vegitarian". If that's so, spare us your thoughts about cooking and eating meat.


No Paul, I don't want anyone to take me seriously. I want to express my opinions as if they were truth on high, and then others can find fault with them. And no, the joint I work in is certainly not quality.

I am practically a vegetarian because I have cooked more than my fair share of meat, and I simply pass on my expertise to those of you who are less evolved and still enjoy eating chemically saturated flesh.

Don't thank me, It's the least I can do for humanity. Speaking of caveats, when I was a kid I went to Ted's Steakhouse in Chicago. They had a sign, "Please do not order steaks well done" So naturally I ordered one well done. The chef smiled. He had one grilling there all day long just waiting for me.


DING DING DING!!!

It's official. Smoke is a troll. If this were on Usenet, we cxould all killfile him, but since we can't automatically delete his posts, we have to just ignore him. It is my intention to completely ignore any comments he makes from now on, and I hope everyone else does the same. If we all ignore him, he'll get tired of talking to himself and go bother some other board. Please Don't Feed the Trolls
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron