Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Albemarle Steak Society

Albemarle Steak Society

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:06 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

BBcue-Z wrote:
hooohaa2 wrote:
“One night we did shark steaks in foil with onions, peppers, garlic, and spices, it was awesome, but it is very tough to compare that to beef, as you can imagine.”

Shark steaks are just like any lean cut of meat. If you cook them too long, they will be tough. They’re best cooked to medium rare. Give them another try, but forget the foil next time. As Steve said, foil keeps out the flavor. Foil also tends to over cook delicate meats.
Please let us know more about your experience with different steaks.

Oh, i think i was unclear. The shark steaks were awesome, I just added that to show that it can be tough (at least it is for me) to judge if a meal one-up'd the last one when you are not cooking the same sorts of meat each night (my implication was that shark is different than sirloin, therefore is hard to compare).
I have grilled many shark steaks without the foil, this was actually the first time with it. I enjoyed it very much. There is definitely less of a grill flavor, but more of the flavor of whatever is cooking with it in the foil. I would have to agree though, I think that it is better to forget the foil.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:10 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

I think he meant its hard to compare shark to beef - shark steaks , like tuna steaks. Thats how I understood that any way.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:18 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Hooohaa2, Good luck with that girl. Women are allowed to turn our lives upside down.
Thanks for the detailed reply. You might want to try a couple other suggestions to shake things up...
Allow someone in the group who likes their steak a little more done. Your skill will improve by having to pay attention to which steaks need different attention and by working to make even a meduim well steak ... juicy, tender, and flavorful.
Check the post "Rare or Well Done?"
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=637
Airfoils made a great comment about Ribeye ...
If we're talking ribeye which is my fave, then medium to medium-well is best BECAUSE, its not until this point that the marbling begins to release its tasty juices properly and the edges have just the right amount of crispness. Undercook it much and you don't get the full benefit of the juices. Overcook it and obviously you're burning off the good stuff. Yes, there IS a perfect way to cook ribeye and medium to medium-well is the way. Other cuts obviously benefit from medium-rare but if I'm having a steak, ribeye is king.

I was skeptical at first, but I tried it and its my favorite steak now too. Otherwise I'm med-rare.

Another challenge.... Go back to the scene of the crime. Beer can be a great marinade. See who can redeem it. What went wrong? What could be done differently. What was aweful about how it turned out and what did you learn from it?

And since its Wed night now and we know your grilling, we'll be expecting a report tomarrow.
I wish I could be in your group. Does it show?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:11 am
hooohaa2 rare
rare

speaking of women, I posted a while ago in that same thread you linked.

I order and cook steaks medium rare, or rare sometimes. I dated a girl who loved steak well done. She also ate it with ketchup, whether it was filet mignon or whatever. This was a large part of the reason we broke up. Now I screen potential dates beforehand about their steak done-ness preference. I am not usually anal, but seeing ketchup on a filet is something I just can't take. I guess if you order a steak burnt, you have to cover it up with something, be it steak sauce, ketchup, or whatever, since it loses any flavor and juices.

haha, after breaking up with her, I made a list of "tests" in my head that I would not break. steak doneness was one of the tests. My girlfriend passed with flying colors, as she did with all the other tests. I am glad I thought all of those up, cause I wouldn't have recognized as quickly how promising this girl looks. Anyways, I'm sorry I became distracted.

I know what you are talkin about with medium ribeyes. Me and Brandon cooked one on tuesday night, along with a chuck steak. The ribeye was so good, seared well on the outside, the juices had mixed in there and you could just taste the grill on the steak. The chuck wasn't so great, but it is always good to experiment.

You are absolutely right about improving your skill by giving different attention to different steaks. About three weeks ago I cooked seven medium sized delmonicos on an 18" square grill at the same time. It's a long story but we had a rough time with that charcoal, and I had to cook them all at once, or we would have had a lot of raw meat on our hands. Every inch of grill space was taken up, so to say it was a difficult task to grill three med. rare, two medium, and two well done steaks would be an understatement. haha. anyways, I used the Greek rub (my Greek IV class met at our professor's house and ate with his family) found on page 496 of the Bible, and the steaks actually turned out great. The one thing this taught me is that I do need to hone my skills, I have no idea how they all turned out ok. While I'm at it, I have to recommend this rub to everyone. I don't think that it is recommended for steaks in the Bible, but it definitely works! try this one out next time you are looking for a rub.

about the beer, I don't know man, I am afraid of beer now. The steaks weren't bad, they were almost inedible. I couldn't finish but half of mine. Have you actually had good experiences with beer and beef?

Yeah, I will have to report back about tonight a little later, I have that "I've just eaten way too much" glazed over look in my eyes, and I am about to pass out, so I will get on later. and yeah, it is starting to show, unfortunately... lol

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:05 am
Big D well done
well done

The biggest challenge is timing when you put steaks on the grill so they can finish around the same time.. As for the beer marinade, I agree. I would try it again.. beer always deservces a 2nd chance anda a 3rd and a Fourth and so on... after all, look at the happiness beer has brought to us, we owe it to beer...

Hmmm now that we are on the subject, What is everyones favorite brew? Mine is by far Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, the best beer in the world... I imagine many of you may not have even heard of it and for that I will light a candle for you.....

And btw impressive dedication with the screening.. since I like giving anecdotes... I chartered a helicopter for my prom and did intense screening for my date (the lucky lady was flown in from Venezula to Nova SCotia for our date, we meet through a friend who goes to University with her).. anywyas before prom I took her to the best steak house in the the whole Atlantic Canada region which was a 35 min flight, very upscale place. I would have taken her to one of our many famous Seafood places but she told me she was a die hard steak lover and like me liked it blue... never so excited in my life I sat down and ordered their famous 40 oz Porterhouse and to my surprise she ordered 'just a salad'. Needless to say we had a fun night but I have spent many nights awaking in a cold sweet as those haunting words repeat in my mind,,, "just a salad", "just a salad", "just a salad"

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:41 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Big D wrote:
The biggest challenge is timing when you put steaks on the grill so they can finish around the same time.. As for the beer marinade, I agree. I would try it again.. beer always deservces a 2nd chance anda a 3rd and a Fourth and so on... after all, look at the happiness beer has brought to us, we owe it to beer...

Hmmm now that we are on the subject, What is everyones favorite brew? Mine is by far Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale, the best beer in the world... I imagine many of you may not have even heard of it and for that I will light a candle for you.....

And btw impressive dedication with the screening.. since I like giving anecdotes... I chartered a helicopter for my prom and did intense screening for my date (the lucky lady was flown in from Venezula to Nova SCotia for our date, we meet through a friend who goes to University with her).. anywyas before prom I took her to the best steak house in the the whole Atlantic Canada region which was a 35 min flight, very upscale place. I would have taken her to one of our many famous Seafood places but she told me she was a die hard steak lover and like me liked it blue... never so excited in my life I sat down and ordered their famous 40 oz Porterhouse and to my surprise she ordered 'just a salad'. Needless to say we had a fun night but I have spent many nights awaking in a cold sweet as those haunting words repeat in my mind,,, "just a salad", "just a salad", "just a salad"

heh...she was probably saving herself from bloating for 'other things' that may or may not have transpired. That she only ordered a salad might have been your cue :wink:

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:50 am
Big D well done
well done

Tis an interesting and undeniable point you bring up.... but to suggest that I, or anyone for that matter, could take precedent over a good steak is perhaps the most flattering of comments ever said about anyone.......

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:38 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D - I want to party with you brother!
Man when you go all out, you go all out!

Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:21 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Girls, Beer, & Steak... This is turning into a great thread.
Hoohaaa2, were the steaks marinated in beer alone or did you combine other ingredients with it? Technically, a marinade has to at least have a lipid (fat or oil) and an acid. Beer by itself may be acidic but there aren't any lipids to make it a complete marinade. Beer also has sugars which could scorch. I'd like to know more about exactly what went into that fateful marinade and what was wrong with the results. I just did a google search using "beer" and "marinade". This recipe came up and it sounded pretty good.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.01

Title: Beer Marinade for Beef
Categories: Cajun, Sauces, Beef, Marinade
Yield: 8 servings

2 cn Beer (12 oz or 10 oz cans) 1 tb Prepared horseradish
2 ts Salt 1 ts Onion powder
1/2 c Olive oil 2 tb Lemon juice
1 ts Ground cayenne pepper 1 ts Garlic powder
1 tb Wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients together and use as a marinade. Then
use as a basting sauce for the meat while it cooks.

http://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/marinades/00/rec0003.html
Health note: If you use some of the marinade to baste with, don't use the same liquid that had raw meat in it. Set some aside for basting before the raw meat goes in.

Big D, In my humble opinion the best beers in the world predominantly come from Belguim. Of those, the ones brewed by monks in monastaries seem to be especially "Blessed." Aparently they've made a whole theology from Ben Franklin's quote
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Here's some good info on Belguim beer.
http://www.sallys-place.com/beverages/beer/belgian_beers.htm
Delerium Tremons is a killer beer. http://www.pascalkolkman.com/delirium/
Although its not Belguim, Arrogant Bastard is also incredible. http://www.arrogantbastard.com/
Any of these beers would make you "slap yo mamma!"

India Pale Ales are extremely hoppy. Many of these beers are high in Hops as well as Barley (or Wheat in some cases. Wheat beers or "Heffeweisens" rule!) So if hoppy makes you happy, you'd probably like these too.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:53 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

I will have to talk with Adam and try to figure out the exact recipe he used. I remember it included beer and lots of onions. (they sauteed the onions which were in the marinade and they were horrible too). I am glad you guys are encouraging me to try beer marinade again. I was so disappointed when that meal bombed.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:49 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

We have met twice since the last update. Last night we had ribeyes with a "mediterranean rub" The recipe came from fooddownunder. The steaks turned out ok. I don't recommend this rub to anyone though. There was just something missing. Couldn't pinpoint it.

I took some pics of last night's meet, and if I could figure out how to post them I would.

The week before last we grilled shrimp and two huge sirloins with a blackening seasoning. The guys put way too much seasoning on everything, so we ended up having our sinuses drained pretty well.

The "beer marinade" referred to before :roll: was made up of diced onions and beer, with salt and pepper. The steaks just sat in the beer and onions for a few hours in the fridge until we cooked them. I definitely want to give it another shot with a different recipe.

Previous

Return to General Discussion