Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meat temperatures, cooking temperatures and meat safety

Meat temperatures, cooking temperatures and meat safety

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:16 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Store raw meat, poultry, and fish separately from cooked and ready to eat food to prevent cross contamination.

If they can not be stored separately, store cooked food or ready to eat food above raw meat, poultry, and fish. This will prevent raw product juices from dripping onto the prepared food and causing foodborne illness.

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:18 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Wrap food properly.

Leaving food uncovered can lead to cross contamination.

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:37 am
Ugly John well done
well done

Store (American) beer at 32 degrees farenheit. Proper temperature is indicated when small ice crystals form upon opening.

Ensure all beer is stored in a separate fridge. Proper beer storage temperature will freeze other non-alcoholic foods.

If beer fridge is in the garage, the temperature setting must be adjusted according to ambient conditions. Turn it down in the summer, turn it up in the winter. If the temp is not adjusted up in the winter, over-freezing and bottle breakage will occur.

Segregate beers by type upon placing in fridge. Ensure commonly drank beers are placed on the upper shelves for easy access. Sissy sipping beers may be placed in the back on the bottom.

A note may be placed on the 16 oz. Milwaukee's Best cans that they are for use in BCC's only - not for separate human consumption.

Coozies should be placed adjacent to the beer fridge. A bottle opener with a can to catch caps should be mounted to the wall nearby also.

Constant vigilance is necessary to prevent the spousal unit from hijacking the dedicated beer fridge for other beverage/food storage. Cross contamination of beer from healthy drinks such as orange juice, prune juice, milk, etc can be deadly.

Exceptions may be granted in the event extra storage is required for: 1) holidays 2) parties 3) BBQ supplies 4) marinating/seasoning of meats before BBQing. Mixers and other bar supplies may also be stored here safely.

Sorry about Hijacking your thread! I couldn't help it! :lol:

P.S. I'm NOT sorry! :D

When I die, I don't want a funeral - I want a barbecue!

Post Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:20 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You forgot the freezer full of frosty mugs! :lol:
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Post Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:00 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Go for it guys......

This needs to be a sticky note..... There was another post about storing meat, and this to me is a very helpful series tidbit of info......

What do you think???

Bill

Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:16 am
Ugly John well done
well done

I think it is a great piece of info - your serious meat storage info - not my idiotic (but never the less important) beer info!

Deserves to be a sticky for quick reference.

Maybe even a separate reference info forum group?

Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:41 am
Uncle John

I agree. Why can someone PLEASE make it a sticky so that I can find it more easily. Otherwise, it will get lost in the numerous topics of discussion for ever.....

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Be patient Uncle John but there are some cool things ahead of the board that will make things like this easy. Can't say, what when or where but trust me, you'll like it.

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:46 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

Here is Food Lion's link to their on line food safety...

http://www.foodlion.com/MealsRecipes/FoodSafety.asp

enjoy,
Bill

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 pm
Uncle John

Hey, I thought this was a sticky.....

Was it cheap tape???

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:36 pm
mrgrumpy well done
well done

I just noticed it too.... what happened. It was a sticky....hummmmmm I guess it wasn't popular enough. Well, it was a good thought for everyone.

Bill

Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:30 am
Longmill well done
well done

I don't know why it isn't sticky any more. However, not to worry. Just be patient for a little longer. There's something in the works for after the first of the new year. And, I think you'll be pleased. Can't say any more for now. :wink:

Longmill
CharGriller Super Pro SFB
Charcoal GOSM
Sunbeam gas grill

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 am
Ugly John well done
well done

Sticky topic......

Sticky tape.....

Sticky buns!!!!!! Time for breakfast - I'm on my way to the snack machine! Thanks for the reminder.

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:58 pm
JohnBoy

resurected from the long lost numerous discussions....

Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:24 am
Mr_Jon well done
well done

This is an excellent thread.
Food safety and sanitation isn't rocket science......it's common sense. I've seen some nasty things done in the past(with a previous employer) that would make most people cringe.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion