Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Albemarle Steak Society

Albemarle Steak Society

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:22 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Sorry I haven't updated you guys. We have been meeting every week for some incredible steaks lately, and the weather has been good for it.

Last night was my turn to grill. I did steak and shrimp kabobs, and let me tell you, they were incredible. I don't have to vocabulary to fully describe how good they were.

The steaks were rubbed with a chipotle chile and garlic rub (there is nothing quite like chile on grilled meat). On the kabobs were tomatoes, white mushrooms, bell peppers, fresh pineapple, onion, lemon, and collosal (the size of a hacky sack) shrimp. The lemons were skewered on either side of the shrimp.

I used two small packs of Jack Daniels smoking pellets on the coals. This was the first time I had used smoking pellets, and I highly recommend them. I bought a bag at Wal*mart for a couple of bucks. Well worth it.

This was, in my opinion, the best meal yet for the Society. If you haven't tried kabobs in a while, don't wait!

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:28 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

That for sharing! Those kabobs do sound good. Glad ya'll are still going strong.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:03 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Hooohaa2, Good to hear back fron you. I wondered how your steaks were going.
Was this Steak Society something you started personally? I'd love to hear how it started.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:46 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Actually, the society started up when me and one of the other members, brandon, decided to grill steaks at a cookout where everyone else had hamburgers. The steaks ended up being so great that we decided to do it again. We invited two other guys to join, and that is how the society started. We came up with the rules at that second meeting. The business at our next meeting (tonight) will be to choose two new members to replace Brandon, who is graduating, and Adam, who is leaving to go to another school.

I can't wait till tonight, we are doing steak and shrimp again, this time it is Brandon's turn. Should be great.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:05 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You'll have no trouble finding applicants for your society! You may have a problem narrowing them down :wink: .

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:12 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

we are planning a cook-off to narrow down the applicants... muahahahaha

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:19 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

You mentioned before in the earlier thread that you always have to one-up the last steak. So every week has to be better than the one before.
There's probably only so far you can go with that before your having to have Kobe beef flown in from Japan. Where do you go after that?
I think a great challenge would be to see who can take a lower quality cut of steak and make it tender, juicy, and flavorful. Who can make rawhide taste like steak?

In your current group, what does the doneness preference range from? (rare to well done for instance) When its your turn to cook, how many different variations of doneness do you have to serve?

What have been the favorite recipes so far?
I'd love it if you could keep us updated from week to week on what meat you do, how its done, and other highlights. Your group is such a cool idea.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:25 pm
Big D well done
well done

hmmmmmm

My school needs a society like this...... Except everything would be mussels, clams and lobster boils... Good ole Nova Scotia (don't get me wrong Seafoods great and everybody cooks steak and hamburgers but very few appreate BBQ like ppl on this board)

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:34 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Big D, you could do both and make it a Surf n' Turf Society. That would be sweeeet!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:42 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Vinsect,
We could start a BBQ society in Georgia.
Are you interested?

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:42 pm
Big D well done
well done

Theres one problem.. between all the BBQ and Pub Crawls now law school is tuff.. imagine with it being incorporated into school....mmmmmmmmmmmm just dont show the parents the grades :shock:

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:38 pm

Vinsect wrote:
You mentioned before in the earlier thread that you always have to one-up the last steak. So every week has to be better than the one before.
There's probably only so far you can go with that before your having to have Kobe beef flown in from Japan. Where do you go after that?
I think a great challenge would be to see who can take a lower quality cut of steak and make it tender, juicy, and flavorful. Who can make rawhide taste like steak?

You bring up a good point, it would be tough to keep on improving. We have actually had one really nasty meal, adam's beer marinated sirloin. Everything else has been very very good. Since we have done different recipes each week, sometimes it is tough to determine if there was actually an improvement. When it is obvious that one member bombed, then he must suffer scorn and contempt until the next wednesday night meeting.
One night we did shark steaks in foil with onions, peppers, garlic, and spices, it was awesome, but it is very tough to compare that to beef, as you can imagine.

Vinsect wrote:
In your current group, what does the doneness preference range from? (rare to well done for instance) When its your turn to cook, how many different variations of doneness do you have to serve?

We all like our steak from rare to medium rare, that is basically an understood requirement to become a member of the society. We have had steaks from bleeding all over the place to almost medium rare, never overcooked yet. I don't even think any of us would object to a small, good cut of raw beef along with a meal...

Vinsect wrote:
What have been the favorite recipes so far?

The favorites so far are the kabobs last week, which were amazing, and bleu cheese larded filets, sugar snap peas, and garlic mashed potatoes. Also, my second favorite was chipotle chile and garlic-rubbed ribeyes. There is just something about chile on grilled beef. So out of like 8 weeks, three have turned out amazing, and the rest have been very very good, except for the beer steak, which was horrible.

Vinsect wrote:
I'd love it if you could keep us updated from week to week on what meat you do, how its done, and other highlights. Your group is such a cool idea.

Isn't it though! I have had such a great time with it. I always look forward to wednesday night with eager anticipation.
I will try to share our failures and successes more regularly. I met a girl about 6 weeks ago, been visiting her every weekend, which makes the weeks in between even more hectic, having to finish projects early and all that.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:39 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

wasn't logged in... ^that was me^

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:44 pm
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Big D wrote:
hmmmmmm

My school needs a society like this...... Except everything would be mussels, clams and lobster boils... Good ole Nova Scotia (don't get me wrong Seafoods great and everybody cooks steak and hamburgers but very few appreate BBQ like ppl on this board)

Actually, we have done a lot of seafood, it has been great. I especially enjoyed grilled clams last week along with the shark steaks.

Yeah, that is the tough part, finding people that are as crazy about BBQ as we are. If you don't get excited about it, spending $50-$60, or even more when your turn to grill comes around could be hard to justify.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:51 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

hooohaa2 wrote:
“One night we did shark steaks in foil with onions, peppers, garlic, and spices, it was awesome, but it is very tough to compare that to beef, as you can imagine.”

Shark steaks are just like any lean cut of meat. If you cook them too long, they will be tough. They’re best cooked to medium rare. Give them another try, but forget the foil next time. As Steve said, foil keeps out the flavor. Foil also tends to over cook delicate meats.
Please let us know more about your experience with different steaks.

Next

Return to General Discussion