Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Timing to quantity of food.

Timing to quantity of food.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:50 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Right. A 7 poumd chicken takes longerto cook because you've changed the thickness that the heat must penetrate. Two 3 1/2 pound chickens takes the same amount of time as one 3 1/2 pounder IME. As long as the temperature remains the same. Perhaps putting 6 or 8 chickens in a smoker, causes a temperature drop that takes longer to recover from. I'm talking about using a gas or charcoal grill which recovers quickly.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:11 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

First - Chagan you never cease to amaze me man!
Second - you guys are getting way to technical!

My dad has always judged his grilling by his coctails.
Steaks - Drink a side
Chicken Drink and a half a side
And so on...

The only problem is as he gets older and drinks less the steaks get more well done!

regardless you get into talking about thermo-whatsis's and spherical chickens you getting way too technical.

:wink:

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:06 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

Wow! I can't beleive I started such a heated debate with a simple question.
Anyway, I don't know anything about thermowatayacallits or spherical chickens, but I can tell you that I did to 3 1/2 - 4 lb beer can chickens along with six large potatoes this past Saturday and all were done in about 1 1/2 hours.
Thanks for all the input.

RichD

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

RichD I hope your meal had as much flavor as this discussion. Glad you were able to pull it off! :)

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:15 am
chagan well done
well done

PaulP wrote:
There must be someone on this board witha knowledge of thermodynamics to explain this!

There, Chagan, I did it without once mentioning spherical chickens.

I was being Ironical Paul, never meant to push your buttons. (I did say that you were probably right) But it is fun when we all get passionate about something

:lol:

PS leave my spheres alone

Hey GS, your dad needs to just get some thicker steaks. You see it works a little like this- if there is an inverse relationship between the consumption of beverages to desired degree of ............

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:10 am
smoke rare
rare

Bob-BQN wrote:
I have done this with chickens. Each time I cooked at 225 degrees and brought the internal meat temperature of the chicken breasts to 170 degrees:

One chicken took 4 hours
Two chickens took 5 hours
Sorry haven’t done three
Four chickens took 6.5 hours
Five chickens took 7.5 hours

Therefore I conclude that the Mass of the meat/food does affect cooking times. I agree that when you change one variable it will cause another to need adjustment. You must consider that Mass is a variable. (A bigger turkey takes longer to cook, even if it isn't perfectly round :wink: )

I would have to agree with you.

I cooked 753 chickens one day and it took about three months.

Previous

Return to General Discussion