Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill problem?

Grill problem?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:26 pm
Hugo

I have a question for you... last summer I bought a crown II from Broil king (and your book...). Since then I'm a big fan of barbecue cooking... But 2 months after I bought my barbecue the grill (cast iron), began to rust. I wrote to broil king and their answer was that it was normal that the protection of the cast iron grill to start coming off and that the iron began to rust... The way to handle the problem is to put cooking oil on to seal the grill and prevent the rusting... Is it wright? or should I get me some new grills?... I hope you've understood my question I'm a french speaking question so...

Thank you very much for your time and concern.

Hugo

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:46 pm
chagan well done
well done

They are right Hugo, cast iron will rust. The way to prevent it and cure it when it does happen is to season it. Whenever you first purchase cast iron cookware, it needs to be prepared to cook with. In your situation, get a wire brush and thoroughly clean the grill grates. The next step is to very thoroughly cover the inside of the grill with some vegetable oil of your choice. Ensure that you coat the entire inside. Next, fire up your grill to medium high and lower the cover. Let the fire burn for approximately 2 hours. After 2 hours, your grill should be covered in a thick black coating on the inside. Remember that you will need to repeat this procedure at least one time per season to maintain the coating. I usually will do it 2 times, one time in the beginning of the spring and one time near winter, because I grill all year round.
Cheers.

Ils sont Hugo droit, le fer de fonte se rouillera. La manière de l'empêcher et de le traiter quand elle se produit estde l'assaisonner. Toutes les fois que vous achetez d'abord le cookware de fer de fonte, il doit être préparé faire cuire avec. Dans votre situation, obtenez une brosse métallique et nettoyez complètement les grillesde gril. La prochaine étape est de couvrir très complètement l'intérieur dugril d'huile végétale de votre choix. Assurez-vous que vous enduisez l'intérieur entier. Après, mettez le feu vers le haut de votre gril à haut moyen et abaissez lacouverture. Laissez le feu brûler pendant approximativement 2 heures. Après 2 heures, votre gril devrait être couvert dans un enduit noir épais surl'intérieur. Rappelez-vous que vous devrez répéter ce procédé au moins une foispar saison de maintenir l'enduit. J'habituellement le ferai 2 fois, une fois dans le début du ressort et une fois près de l'hiver, parce que je grille toute l'année ronde.
À la votre.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:44 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The only thing I can think of to add to our good buddy's advice is to try using shortening in place of vegetable oil.

I've since stop using bare cast iron grates and switched to HEAVY porcelin coated cast iron to prolong the de-seasoning issue but as the surface wears and rust appears I start to apply Crisco with a heavy round daubing brush (paintbrush, use only on warm not hot grates) .

It seems not to burn off as easily. Spray oils seem to bring a whole different set of problems to the party. They just leave too much sticky residue.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:57 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great advise guys the only thing I want to add is although I used to love to season with peanut oil, I've stopped because I know too many people have allergies to nuts or more speciffically peanuts. Its the little things that get ya. I now use crisco shortening on all my cast iron.

Chagan are you fluent in french or did you use a translator? Either way I'm impressed. Great effort to help or friend Hugo!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:02 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

He was probably telling Hugo what big idiots we are!

Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:27 pm
chagan well done
well done

You know I love you guys YB :) I actually studied French for 3 years, but that was a long long time ago. I can speak enough to get buy, but only barely (due to non use). You're right GS, I used the translator in Office2003. I tranlated into French and then back into English several times until the English reverse translation read properly. :D I believe that I shall try the shortening method as well, thanks all!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:59 pm

thanks everybody! a special thanks to chagan it was very nice of you to translate your answer in french for me. I really apreciate it. Hope my english is as good as your french is.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:06 am
chagan well done
well done

Welcome back Hugo. Did you season your grill? How did it turn out? Hope to hear the results :)

By the way, your English is MUCH better than my French!

Cheers!

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:31 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I've used nothing but Crisco shortening on my cast iron stuff and while I don't have a cast iron grate, if I did, I wouldn't replace it with anything since the work it requires is nothing to the results cast iron can give you. Keep the cast iron!

Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:51 pm
Hugo

Yes chagan I'm doing it as I'm writing to you and it works! It works very well... Many thanks...
:D

Return to General Discussion