Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A question about gas grills and pig roasting

A question about gas grills and pig roasting

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
big d

Well, I am about to splurge on a new bbq and my moto is go big or go home.... even though as a university student its breakin the bank for bar hopin nights (but what could be better than a new shinny BBQ?)

I am leaning towards the Webber Summit Gold D I belive.... it was the biggest they had in town. Its got a rotisserie burner and a dedicated smoker burner with just a metal smoker box on the side of the grill and I belive 6 burners and a side burner..... plus its real shinny too... my question is how good is the quality of the smokers/rotisseries? (obviously not like buying a seperate smoker but I'm on a student budget) and is the quality between a normal everyday $200.00CDN bbq and this $2699.00CDN bbq that noticable... did I mention its shinny... .mmmmmm bbq

And my other question is about pig roast which I could imagine is asked around here more often than I would imagine....... I am planning one soon and am still a whole-hog cook out virgin and am contemplating renting a professional smoker of digging a pit in the ground and filling it with coals and wrapping the pig in banna leaves and roasting it that way... What would you recommend? Obviously the former would likely be less hassle but more expesnive... secondly I have several recipes and one calls for stuffing the pig with apple slices and 3 hens...... if aanyone has done it this way before would you recomend this or is better not stuffing it and cooking it flat on the grill?

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:50 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

WOW!!!

As for the Gold D Get Grand Scale to talk you through that.

Whole hog is not something a beginner should attempt without some serious oversight from a seasoned pro.

If you want to try a half pig, talk to your butcher shop or larger grocery, tell them how large your grilling surface is
L x W
and they should be able to sell you a half to start learning on that Weber.

This will still still feed a small army.

As far the ingound pit. The guy's who do this in Hawaii and elsewhere are true "Pitmasters".

There is a long apprenticeship in the islands for pit cooking. You could easily end up with cracklins (burnt) or having just warmed up the pork enough for eight or so hours to let all the little bad food bugs have had a real day at the circus. Especially when you want to introduce raw poultry into the equation.

Food prep is not a go big or go home situation when you are just starting out.

YB

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:56 am
Leatherneck well done
well done

Big D, of your'e truly a beginner smoke two or three or four (depending on the size of your crowd) Boston Butts on your'e new grill for your gathering. It tastes OUTSTANDING and is very easy.
If you're a seasoned griller, go to the site: The Wilber D. Hog Pit. (there's a link on BarbecueingMania's post about "Wood for Grilling"). It will tell you how to build a grill to cook a whole hog.
As far as cooking a "pig in the ground" on your first outing, I concur with YardBurner, DON'T DO IT until you are sure it will turn out right. The book "HOW TO GRILL" has an excellent looking recepie for a whole hog. Plus it'll give you times/tips etc. about how to do it.
Good Luck.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:41 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Big D you're the man!
As I read your post it was as if I wrote it myself. AMEN BROTHER!
I love my D. I'd put it up against a grill that costs 3 times as much anyday of the week. (cough Viking cough).

Beyond that search some posts, I've talked about the weber D before. Any specifics you have feel free to ask.

Just be warned it'll set you back alot of beer money. More when you figure you food budget will go up too. But if you can swing it great for you. It'll last a long time.

As for the pig...GO FOR IT!

I did my first with no practical experience while still in college. I did a 100# pig using a rented gas towable trailer grill.
Find out more details about doing a pig roast here:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=404&highlight=hog

They are easier than you think.

Welcome aboard, stick around a while, enjoy the insanity!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:37 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The rented grill makes a lot of sense. Makes it easy to test for doneness.

I'd still be leary 'bout burying one.

YB

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:45 am
big d

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I am going to stear clear of the pig in the ground but the rental of a towable trailer grill is the way I think I am going to go.

I just bought my new BBQ this morning and finished setting her up about 15 mins ago, maybe a new big hamburger for lunch and a juicy 'blue' porterhouse for dinner... Its a beaut!

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to many more posts in the future

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:15 pm
chagan well done
well done

How did I know Grand Scale was going to tell him to go for it :wink:

P.S.G.S. it's "you the man" :lol:

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:22 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So much info and a grammar lesson too! (as well, also, in addition)

YB

Return to General Discussion