Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grinding spices

Grinding spices

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:14 am
Zuieback raw
raw

What do you all use to grind fresh spices, I have found hand/ pepper grinders take to long. My local home store was no help at all. Can you use a coffee grinder?

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:38 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

A coffee grinder will work but you may wish to dedicate it as a spice grinder only or you will end up with "flavored" coffees.

Another option is to purchase a Spice Grinder.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:44 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I personally use a small coffee grinder and yes this is it's sole function. However, you can also use a good mortar and pestle. IT will take a little longer, but you can control the coarsness of the grind a little better than with the grinder in my opinion.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:50 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We use both a small cheap Black and Decker blade type coffee grinder for small batches and an inexpensive blender for larger batches. Both are dedicated to grinding spices only. If you can, make sure the blender has a glass jar. It won't retain odors, stains or get cloudy from grinding hard spices.

Got our blender at a thirft shop for $3 Bucks.

We also have a less expensive food processor to puree' BBQ sauce and my homemade hot sauces. Seems the habanero's like to leave a little tingle behind on the plastic bowls and the next batch in the machine got a little interesting.

YB

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:00 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I use a mortar and pestal also have a grinder thats really more like a shredder (mainly works on rosemary and woody/ viney spices and herbs. Cheese graters also work well for many spices.
Check this site out for good spices and accesories. A coworker of mine has delt with these folks for several years and vouches for their service.
http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/home.php
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:45 am
Reidmid rare
rare

Good Link - Thanks Vinsect.

Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:36 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I use the attachment for my Kitchen-Aid

Return to General Discussion