Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hasty Bake Smoking

Hasty Bake Smoking

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:55 pm
toy4x4 raw
raw

Getting ready to smoke my first rack of ribs on my Hasty Bake Gourmet. Main question is how to regulate the temp to around 220 degrees. Anyone have any experience smoking in this model?

Guess I'll start with about a quarter full firebox with the heat deflector on and then adjust how much charcoal.wood chips after that.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:59 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

toy4x4 Welcome to the board!

Your Hasty Bake Gourmet Oven doesn't have vents in the hood. Vents are the main temperature controls on most equipment. I'm not familiar with your oven but the remaining variables for controlling temperature would seem to be the amount of fuel you use at a time and the height at which you adjust your charcoal grates.

You'll have to experiment with the amount of fuel and if you're trying to obtain low-n-slow indirect cooking, I'd keep the grates at a lower level.

Hope this helps.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:42 pm
rmurphy7625

Are you from Tulsa? I don't hear to much about Hasty Bakes anymore. I do know they are a very well made grill\smoker and are expensive. On the temp, you should have a lower and upper vents on the smoker. Always keep the upper one on the lid, open and use your lower one, should be in the firebox, as your temp regulator. Remember, practice makes perfect and the practice should taste pretty good.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:46 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
variables for controlling temperature would seem to be the amount of fuel you use at a time and the height at which you adjust your charcoal grates.

You'll have to experiment with the amount of fuel and if you're trying to obtain low-n-slow indirect cooking, I'd keep the grates at a lower level.

Hope this helps.

I think he has a fire box Bob and since this is indirect (ribs) grate level doesn't come into play so much. As it relates to grilling, being a Weber guy, I use heat zones so adjustable grates aren't always necessary.

Return to General Discussion