Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My brand new grill!!

My brand new grill!!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:25 pm

Well, I am the proud new owner of a Weber Genesis Gold B. Got a good deal on "last year's model" which I imagine is very close to this year's model. I've put it together, and I'm ready to go.

Quick question: do I need to put lava rocks in the grill? (I remember my parents old gas grill had lava rocks.) Anything else I should do before I get grilling?

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:30 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Well at least you got a Weber. No, you don't need lava rocks, it has flavorizer bars. Now what are you doing wasting precious time posting when you have a new grill to drive? :D

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:10 am
Vinsect well done
well done

You picked a good one. That's a grill you can grow old with. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.
Do you have a charcoal grill or a smoker to keep it company?
Gas for the week/ Charcoal for the weekend.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:12 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Vinsect wrote:
Gas for the week/ Charcoal for the weekend.

This is simply NOT true. It's charcoal during the week, and lump/wood on the weekend. :wink:

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:42 am

I can assure you this was an agonizing decision. Ultimately, I took the advice of many on this board and splurged on the gas grill. My fiancee has promised me, though, that I can get a less expensive charcoal kettle grill in the future.

For us, it ultimately was a weather decision. We live in DC, and we want to grill year-round. While it doesn't get brutally cold here, the thought of lighting up coals in January scared us off.

Thanks for your help. Hoping to fire 'er up tonight. . .

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:20 pm
Zeke rare
rare

I don't know - standing by a hot bbq in the middle of february is a nice way to keep warm!
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:33 pm
Reidmid rare
rare

Good going. I even think that the older model Weber grills are better than this year's stuff.

Don't forget to get the How to Grill Book - it's the deal breaker.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:21 am

Reidmid: I had "How to Grill" before I even had the grill!

My fiancee is a little worried about me. After I put the grill together on Saturday, I spent all weekend staring out at the grill on our deck.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:59 pm
PaulP well done
well done

Don't waste time staring at it...GET OUT THERE AND COOK!!!!
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:21 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Airfoils, personally I haven't been using gas or charcoal lately. Its been all hardwood. The gas for the week, charcoal for the weekend mantra is a good way to get people at least making a break from their gas.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion