Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Choosin a Smoker/Grill

Choosin a Smoker/Grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:14 pm
BullBurner rare
rare

Hey Y'all
I am wanting a smoker / grill to replace my old webber. What I really would like to find is a good solid horzontal tank type with the firbox on the side- BUT I would like it to smoke as well as fire grill burgers and what not at the same time. You know -a unit that would serve both BBQ urges!

I like the Lund (I think it is called) #48. But the firbox does not open from the top for grilling plus it is pricey. We found one called Log Cabin from Oklahoma-price is right and the firebox does open at the top but the smoker side doesnt look tall nuff for a beer can chicken.

With the price of steel I would rather buy than build IF I can find the right combo of features.

What do Y'all think... Please advise.

Thanks!

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:22 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Bull...

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I'm a recent convert to the Cajun Grill. It's a bit more pricey than some, but seems to offer every possible option for grilling, smoking, and cueing.

http://www.cajungrill.com

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:12 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Here is a link for you:
http://www.chargriller.com
I have this smoker/grill and it’s been working very well for me. The grill section has a separate and removable charcoal tray. The tray also adjusts up and down for quick searing. The side firebox can be used to smoke or as an extra small grill. I bought mine at LOW’s for $119 and the firebox was $49. The company also sells a propane igniter for $11.99.
Good luck.

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:21 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Hey, that's a beauty!

sp

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:55 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think what BullBurner was asking:

Is there a unit on the market that will both grill and smoke at the same time?

Some smokers can be made to grill.
Some grills can be made to smoke (sort of).

Grilling is direct heat. The firebox on some smokers, like on certain models of Klose Mfg.,

www.bbqpits.com

,can direct grill with a lid that open on top of the firebox to reveal a grill. I don't know how this effects the operation of the smoker if done while in use.

I have an offset smoker that can used both as a small grill in the fire box and as a larger grill in the smoke chamber. I have used neither feature. But using the firebox as a grill while smoke cooking would appear to alter the heat flow and allow the smoke chamber to cool.

Any opinions (Oh, God! Did I say that out loud!) Guys!

YB

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:04 am
Vinsect well done
well done

I have a Char-Broil Silver Smoker and I like it. I've squeezed beer can chicks in it by substituting grates from my other grills that rested lower in the smokebox. In other words a smaller grate will sit lower in the barrell giving you more room overhead.
Since smokers are designed for low temp cooking, make one of your main criteria ...size. It takes more fuel to get a smoker to higher temps than most grills. They're not built to be heat effecient. They're built to waste a lot of heat so you get the smoke of a big fire without all the heat from a big fire.
If you choose a smoker thats larger than you need you'll burn a lot more fuel.
I'd eventually like to have a whole set of Weber kettle grills in an assortment of sizes along with a smaller bullet smoker. Depending on what I'm cooking and how much I'm cooking I'd pick out the right sized grill for the job. Right now I burn whole oak logs like most guys burn briquettes. What I spend in smaller grills will pay for itself in wood saved.
In the meantime don't tell any hippie treehuggers where I live.
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:18 pm
Zeke rare
rare

Check out this one from Brinkmann.

Although I use mine as a smoker, it's possible to use it as a grill as well. I prefer to use my weber kettle for grilling, but that's just personal preference. This can be a one-size-fits-all bbq/smoker/grill.

zeke
"Life is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind - it doesn't matter"

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:33 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

The Brinkmann looks nice, and I’m sure it’s a good smoker. But the Char-Griller main camber is designed to be an independent grill if you wanted it to. It’s much deeper than the Brinkmann and as I mentioned it has a very nice charcoal adjustable tray. This tray (inside the main chamber) can be moved up and down in 8 different positions. It’s also removable for easy clean up or conversion to a smoker. The side firebox is also very versatile; it has a removable charcoal drawer for easy clean up or for adding logs/charcoal.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:33 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

I have a Brinkman like the one linked to above. It is very similar to the Char-broil. I honestly don’t think one could use either of them to grill something in the fire box and smoke something in the smoking chamber. Too much heat and smoke goes up out of the grill and not into the smoking chamber when the fire box lid is raised. I believe that if you closed the lid, then you would burn what ever you are trying to grill to a crisp in a minute. I suggest getting a small grill in addition to the smoker.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Although I have a New Braunfels Hondo offset, really like the way the Char-Griller opens all the way at the mid point of the larger chamber. Allows much greater access to foods when using it to grill. The NB door doesn't open to that degree.

YB

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:21 am
new guy

The Char-griller is the way to go. I too fell in love with it at Lowe's. I also purchased the side fire box for smoking. I have since talked my brother and dad into buying the same grill. To me it's seems to be the best for the money.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:56 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

BullBurner welcome to the Barbecue board!

There are many good suggestions given. A little clarification to your question:
BUT I would like it to smoke as well as fire grill burgers and what not at the same time.
By that, do you mean with the same piece of equipment, or do you mean simultaneously?

Like mentioned above, I don’t believe you’ll be able to perform both functions on the same piece of equipment at the same time. For this I would recommend a kettle and a bullet.

If however you’re looking for a versatile cooker, then an off-set would be a good choice.

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:10 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I just picked up the Charbroil Silver Smoker and successfully did two beer can chickens and six large potatoes this past Saturday. I'm very happy with the results. I was considering the Brinkmann Pitmaster and would have gotten that, but I got a better deal in Home Depot on the Charbroil and I didn't have tp wait. No one in my area had the Brinkmann in stock.

RichD

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:45 pm
BBQinFL rare
rare

IMHO, the best bang for the buck is to get a Weber Smoky Mountain for Smoking ($179 from Amazon) and a Weber Platinum for Grilling ($199 from Amazon). You can grill on the WSM and you can Smoke on the Platinum, but if you believe in using the right tool for the job, get 'em both.

If you aren't familiar with the WSM, by all means take some time and learn about it. It's pricier (is that a word?) than the Brinkman, but as my Grand Daddy, "Buy the best and only cry once!"
ImageA pig serves no purpose in life other than to be delicious!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:08 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

BBQinFL wrote:
IMHO, the best bang for the buck is to get a Weber Smoky Mountain for Smoking ($179 from Amazon) and a Weber Platinum for Grilling ($199 from Amazon). You can grill on the WSM and you can Smoke on the Platinum, but if you believe in using the right tool for the job, get 'em both.

If you aren't familiar with the WSM, by all means take some time and learn about it. It's pricier (is that a word?) than the Brinkman, but as my Grand Daddy, "Buy the best and only cry once!"

Hehehe, another one Chagan. 8) Welcome to the Platinum/WSM club BBQinFL.

Next

Return to General Discussion