Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brinkman Professional Grill vs Weber Kettle

Brinkman Professional Grill vs Weber Kettle

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
SmokedOut raw
raw

Hi All,

I just started looking over your site this week and went out and picked up How To Grill. I've read through a lot of posts already, seems like a nice bunch of folks on here, and I just had to register myself as a member. So naturally I already have a question.

Is the Brinkman Professional Grill a comparable grill to the Weber kettle in terms of functionality or is it intended for smoking and not really a primary grill? One poster on here said he saw it at Sam's Club for around $150 and that it is a very solid piece of equipment with a large cooking area...though I don't know how much larger than the Weber? Does anyone know more about this model or have it and can add some impressions of it?

If it is larger than the Weber and is comparable in cooking applications I may be inclined to get it over the Weber since the price of the Weber Platinum is around $199.

I may not know a lot about all this stuff yet but I do know I want to burn wood as soon as possible...you folks have me psyched.

Thanks

Walt

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:27 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I just did a quick once over of the Brinkmann at Sam's. Yes, it looks very solid. I like the fact that it has metal folding shelves as opposed to wood.

The only thing I saw lacking was any way to control intake air flow (might have missed it)

Without it this is just a big brazier with a lid. With it you can slow roast, grill and make a passable attempt at smoking. It's aslo huge for a home charcoal grill. I would use rows of fire bricks to divide the fire pan into smaller sections for either different heat zones or for grilling smaller amounts of food

The Weber is famous for it's air control and versatlity. Plus, it's not all that small either. Think about it. It's basic design hasn't changed all that much since it's introduction. Must work!

YB

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Welcome to the board Walt.
I don’t know much about the Brinkman, but I know the Weber kettle is very well liked around here. I have a suggestion for you though. If you’re planning on growing with this BBQ thing, then you may consider a grill/smoker instead. There are many advantages of having this kind of gear. 1st the metal on these things is much thicker than the average grill. This will help retain the heat much better and limits the effect of the external environment (think of it as a big cast iron pot). 2nd when you’re ready to make a move to smoking meats (and believe me you will want to) you won’t have to buy another piece of equipment. The thick walls of some smokers will allow you to burn wood logs if you chose this route. But you can also use charcoal and wood chunks in any type of grill/smoker. 3rd you’ll have the better of 2 worlds in one piece, grilling and smoking. If you pick up a horizontal smoker (with or without side firebox), you’ll be able to grill in the main chamber. Later you could add a side firebox (or get a combo right away) and you’ll be able to smoke as a pro.
Try this link for some ideas:
http://www.chargriller.com

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.js ... dgoodfkg.0

WOW!! That's a mouthfull!

This is the link to the Brinkmann @ Sam's. Seems it does have draft control but only at the top.

All other temp. control is done by raising and lowering the coals.

Nice feature when your fire is waning and you want to increase the heat but don't want to add more fuel.

YB

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:55 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey YB while looking at Sam's I stumbled across Grand Scale's next grill! :shock:

Crown Verity® Stainless Steel 72" LP Grill

MCB-72 Pkg
This 72" grill comes with two roll domes and a removable side shelf. It's made from 18 gauge, commercial grade stainless steel. Has 10 burners using up to 159,000 BTUH with a massive cooking surface that is almost six feet long and two feet wide. Ideal for volume feeders, resorts and country clubs.

Item: 449258

Features:

72" All Stainless Steel LP Outdoor Grill
Commercial Quality
159,000 BTUH
Roll Dome
1 Stainless Steel Removable Shelf
Shipped Fully Assembled on wooden skids
Stainless Steel Cooking Grates
Ten square feet of Cooking Surface
10 Stainless Steel Burners
Cooking Grates reach over 800 degrees quickly
15,000 BTU Stainless Steel Burners
Stainless Steel Lighter Tube
Easy Cleaning: removable stainless steel water-filled drip pans
14" Wheels and 2 Locking Casters
Uses two 20 lb. Propane Cyclinder
Complete with Hose and Pressure Regulators
North America Gas Approved
18 gauge, Commercial grade 304 #4 SS
Cooking Surface: 70"W x 21"D
Dimensions: 93"W x 28"D x 52"H
Weight: 253 lbs.

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:50 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I was going to get the Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit, but when I wen to the Home Depot today they had the Charbroil Silver Smoker. It is very similar to the Brinkmann so I decided to get that instead of waiting a couple of weeks for the Brinkmann.
Looks like that beer can chicken I was going to make on the gas grill this weekend will christen the new grill/smoker.

RichD

Return to General Discussion