Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion charbroil electric smoker

charbroil electric smoker

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:24 pm
sacmer

I have a charbroil electric water smoker and have a lot of trouble getting it to smoke. No instructions for how to place the wood chips were included. Even piling them directily on the electrical element producing an unsatisfying result. Any tips appreciated.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:43 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

sacmer wrote:
I have a charbroil electric water smoker and have a lot of trouble getting it to smoke. No instructions for how to place the wood chips were included. Even piling them directily on the electrical element producing an unsatisfying result. Any tips appreciated.

Sacmer..Welcome to the board. There has been a lot of discussion about different smokers. Specifically, there was a topic titled: "Electric Water Smoker", that was started on 11/23/03. You may find some of the information you are looking for. There is even a post about Charbroil Electric Water Smokers within that discussion. Hope this helps you. If not, use the search function at the top of the page and type in a key word for the topic you are looking for.

Pete

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:08 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You might try a small cast iron pan, foil pan or clay pot with three or four charcoal briquettes placed in the bottom of your smoker in which you can add wood chips to. The charcoal would burn the wood instead of the element.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:14 pm
sacmer

Thanks Steven. I read the November discussion. The Charbroil instruction sheet is worthless. I am currently doing a Pork Shoulder and using unsoaked,large wood chunks placed right under/near/on the electric element and seem to be getting good smoke. As in the Nov discussion, the user needs to find a method of directly heating the wood or metal box. From some other internet posts I gather that the electric element is fairly durable and can tolerate objects placed directly on it. The design of the Charbroil and their customer service people leave something to be desired!

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:35 pm
MReynolds well done
well done

Just wanted to comment that I have a Brinkmann electric water smoker and the method that I've used is to create a smoke pouch and lay that directly into the lava rock on the bottom. Sometimes I'm careful to not touch the element with the foil pouch, sometimes I'm not. I've used old pie tins directly on the element, but they will eventually burn through.

What I really need to do is fabricate a heavy steel smoker box with some legs to raise it above the heating element, but still low enough that my water pan won't touch it.

In the past, I have thrown chunks directly onto the lava rock / heating element with no ill effects. I just washed the rock afterwards in a bucket until the water ran clear.
ImageImage
PETA - People Eat Tasty Animals

Return to General Discussion