Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Butterflying leg of lamb

Butterflying leg of lamb

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:30 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Hey guys, I have never done this before and have purused Steve's examples in his books but I'm afraid I still don't get it, although I've probably read enough about it to give it a good try and be reasonably successful, I'd like to be more confident in what I'm doing before I cut into one. I've done lamb many times before, but not a leg. I don't need a recipe or cooking advice, I think Steve has that covered for me. I found a video on carving leg of lamb but nothing on butterflying. Any ideas?

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:49 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Other than the example in HTG I can't help you. I've always had the butcher do it.
You see I'm not allowed to play with sharp objects...

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:51 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Airfoil,
If you have a Costco or Sam’s club in your area, they both sell already butterflyed leg of lamb. It’s an Australian lamb (if you don’t mind that) and it comes wrapped in webbing. If you still want to do yourself, just go ahead and try. You really can’t mess it up. In worse case scenario, you can roll it backup (tucking in the odd shaped pieces) and tie it up with some butcher twin. This way it will be in a shape of every day roast and no one will know the difference.
Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I don't eat much lamb so I've not even seen the leg up close therefore this may not be much help:

In "How to Grill" the recipe for Jamaican Jerk Pork shows how to butterfly a pork shoulder ham. All I had was a Boston Butt which has a shoulder blade instead of a leg bone. The slicing was a little different than in the illustration but the technique was still the same. I just had to figure out how to follow the bone.

Good luck! I know you’ll get it.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:49 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Thanks guys. I was going to cook it flat but think making a roast is the more prudent option for me the 1st time out of the gate and then depending on my experience, try it flat the 2nd go around.

Return to General Discussion