Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Roasting Eggs

Roasting Eggs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:02 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Its also that time for Passover. This was the feast of The Last Supper. The Bread and Wine were part of a larger feast.
Traditionally, the feast calls for lamb roasted over a fire (and how else would you cook it?),
eggs, also roasted over a live fire.
bitter herbs such as parseley and horseraddish
matzoh bread (unleavened bread) I'll buy it at the store this time but I eventually want to grill that too.
Charoseth, like applesauce but better. Apples, nuts, wine, spices. Often eaten on the Matzoh bread with horseraddish which is a lot like Steven's Volcanic Applesauce. :D
Then of course there is wine, multiple glasses at that.
I've been to a few Passover meals, but this will be my first time to cook. I'll keep it simple this time and get fancier later. Besides I'm the only one in our house that'll eat lamb.

Anyone have experience roasting eggs over fire? How do you tell when they're done? Do you roast directly in the coals or over the grate?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:22 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This post was originally in the Easter feast thread. But it brings up a really neat question. Other than in a skillet can eggs be done on the grill?

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:28 am
chagan well done
well done

I don't know about the eggs, but they sould not be too hard :) What I really am looking forward to is doing the lamb on the grill with a nice yogurt, tyme, and lemon zest marinade.
Last edited by chagan on Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:56 am
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I would imagine you can probably roast an egg on the grill. One thing you want to consider though is making a small whole in one end of the egg to allow the steam to escape. Otherwise you will wind up with scrambled egg all over you grill as the egg will explode.

RichD

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:11 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fortunately eggs are cheap enough to experiment with. I agree, make sure you poke a hole in the large end. if you store the eggs large end up in the carton this is where the air pocket will be.

Why not put your chile grill to work on this, holding the eggs verticle. (You've got one don't you?). Or you might try one of those mini muffin tins.

Shalom.

YB

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:35 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

What I'll probably do for tonight is boil the eggs first and then toast them on the grill with the lamb.
Since fire-roasted eggs are the traditional way of preparing them for Passover, I'm sure there is plenty written about how to do it if you know where to look.
Since Steven is Jewish, maybe someone could forward the question to Rabbi Raichlen for an authoritive answer.
I'm not actually Jewish myself but I've gotten into observing the Biblical holidays which to me are more meaningful than the newer holidays.
For instance, did you know Thanksgiving was based on a Biblical feast called The Feast of Tabernacles or "Sukkot." Instead of being just one day, its a feast that last several days and you build a homemade tent to camp in and feast for several days. Now what barbecue enthusiast wouldn't love that? As much as I love Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving is essentially "Diet Sukkot."
Shalom
PS: Yardburner, a Chili Grill is on the shopping list. I haven't broken down and ordered one yet. Will soon though.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:00 pm
chagan well done
well done

Here you go Vinsect- Mr. Breakfast knows.....

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/ask.asp?askid=21

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:16 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

When I was a child, we had a brick bread oven at home. My Dad used to roast eggs in it all the time. He would poke a hole using a sawing needle and put them in the oven until part of the shell is almost charred. The egg on the inside would have some discoloration, but it tasted exactly as a hard-boiled egg. We also roasted eggs on the shores of the Meditarean using sand taken from around the campfire. We would cover them with hot sand and wait about 20 minutes, and they would be done. They also tasted like a hard boil eggs. I guess you could do the same thing with some left over hot ashes from a charcoal grill. If you cook them on the grill, you’d have to poke a small hole and place them on not so hot grill. Make sure the eggs are not too cold either. You don’t want egg all over your grill.
But here is a better way to make eggs on the grill or in a smoker:

Use some meat loaf or meatball ground meat, or your favorite hamburger mix. Make sure you add one or two (based on the amount) raw scrambled eggs to the mix. The eggs here serve as glue. Boil some eggs and peel them but keep them whole. Mold some hamburger meat around the egg while keeping the shape of an egg. Place the meat-covered eggs in a smoker or if you’re using a grill, then use indirect method. Smoke them at 350 degrees until the meat is done. Serve them whole or slice them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. If you decide to slice them, then wait until they’re cooled. This way they won’t fall apart. Serve them with Chipotle-Myo.
Happy Easter.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:05 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Wow, that ground beef covered egg definitely wins points for creativivty. Thanks for the basic ideas too.
From the Mr. Breakfast instructions there, it sounds like I'm on the right track. Boil first, then throw on the grill.
Then rebuild it better.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We did the egg thing with meatloaf as well. Mom would cook them not quite done, peel them , (don't know how she did that), and make the meatloaf around them. They would finish cooking in the oven with the meat.

YB

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:40 pm
spfranz well done
well done

Also good with sausage over the cooked eggs and served with a mustard sauce. A search on the net for "scotch eggs" will surface good recipes.

Scott
I like vegetarians. Some of my favorite foods are vegetarians.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:42 am
Vinsect well done
well done

Well, they turned out OK. Only one exploded in the grill and it was a mild rupture. There wasn't egg all over the whole smoker. I did poke holes in the ends prior to grilling. Especially for some of the eggs with cracked shells, I did get some smokey flavor but the whites also turned kind of leathery. Out of curiosity, it does kind of make me want to try a few variations.
First of all a chili grill would probably be ideal. Its already one of the next gadgets on my shopping list. I'm also thinking I will boil the eggs prior to grilling but also remove the shells ahead of time too.
It probably wouldn't take much time in the smoker to pick up smokey flavor. I think the goal would be to get smokey flavor without the leathery texture. So I'm thinking of basting with an oil, butter, or maybe even a mop sauce of some sort. I'll bet bacon grease would be downright righteous.
Eggs are cheap to play with, so why not?
Then rebuild it better.

Return to General Discussion