Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Turning my rub, into sauce!?

Turning my rub, into sauce!?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:53 pm
clancywiggum

Hey everybody
I was just wondering if anyone had any clues on how to turn a rub into a sauce.
I have my secret ingredients, and the rub goes on well, but when its all done and said, I always want more sauce. I got hooked on BBQ since ive been 6 or 7 and ive been a BBQ master ever since (or ide like to think so). If anyone has any idea how i might go about doing this that would be awesome!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:39 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

well there are many ways to do this. A lot of it will depend on your spices in your rub. Try grilling some tomatoes and onions, toss them in a food processor with your spices.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:55 pm
smoke rare
rare

You can just find a sauce or recipie you like, and use the liquid ingredients listed on the sauce or in the recipie, and then substitute your rub instesd of the seasonings in the recipie.

Kind of depends what kind of sauce you want. You could just add water, or vinegar, or oil, or butter.

You can mix it with the jucies that accumulate after you are done with your dry rub, and add some more liquid, but if you do that you should bring it to a boil before using to kill off anything bad that might be in raw meat juice.

So I'm looking at a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays barbeque sauce. The liquid is
corn syrup
vinegar
tomato paste

so if that's the type of thick sauce you want, you would just add your rub to those liquids.

You could do the same thing with a bottle of worcestershier,

another common one would be juice (apple maybe or orange) and vinegar.

Or mollassas to sweeten it up.

I sometimes just mix my rub with tabasco sauce and the juices from the meat.

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:28 am
clancywiggum

Wow thanks a lot everyone
Those are good ideas. I had though about looking at the bottle of sauce i like best, but i wanted to make sure that was a good way to go at it. Thank again

Return to General Discussion