Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion potato question

potato question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:49 pm
ryno23 medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 74
Location: Manitowoc,WI
First I want to thank you all for your help. Last year I bought a gas grill in June and then watched BBQ Bootcamp in July and wanted a charcoal grill. Then I couldn't decide on a Weber kettle grill or a Horizontal smoker. After reading all the past post's I decided on the 22.5 Weber kettle grill and I [u]Love it!!![/u] My question is do any of you have any great potato receipies. I've done the smoked ones. Just wondering what you guys do.

Thanks for any help![color=blue][/color]

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:14 pm
Chicago SP rare
rare

Posts: 45
Location: Chicago
Hey Ryno23...

I have two favorites:

Take a clean grill bit and drill a hole through the length of a nice baking potato. Pack the center with good sausage, wrap the whole thing in good foil and cook for an hour (right on the coals if you like).

Another favorite is so simple and good for parties. Slice up a bunch of potatoes, along with onions, garlic, salt/pepper, good cheese, and just about anything else you care for. Make a double-layer foil pouch for the bunch. Put it on the grill for about an hour, turning it once or twice. For informal cookouts, we just slice open the packets and let people help themselves.

And while I'm on it, this bagged recipe is great for bagged chicken, too. Brown the chicken pieces, coat them in your favorite rub (lawry's works, too), bag them in bunches and put them on the grill. This, together with the above potatoes, makes for terribly little work and great flexibility in the cooking time, so you can enjoy the party!!

sp

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:37 am
smoke rare
rare

Posts: 26
ah man, I've been working on potatoes for a long, long time. I always make them every meal. In winter I cook inside and use rice or past, so when grill season starts I switch to potatoes.

And I have no interest in anything foil wrapped (except bread which can't be improved upon) so I am always working on grill potatoes, and have never made the perfect one yet (intentionally.)

Try new red as small as you can get them, and bring them to a boil and boil them for X amount of minutes. Slice them in half long ways.

Then put them skin side down, or skin side up, and baste them with butter, or oil, then season with salt, or season with this, or first sear them, or first put them skin side down over a cold fire, or soak them before you boil them in a secret soak, or boil them in salted water, or try cooking them raw.

And that's just new red potatoes.

I made one one time that was really good, but I'm not sure what I did that was so special.

And the worst part about it. After you've made thousands of them, you'll make a batch that is bona fide mediocre, and people who don't know any better will make some asanine comment like, "Oh, these are delicious!"

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:58 am
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 72
get about 3lbs of baking potatos. bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
drain, dry and allow to cool.

slice them into 1/4 wedges.
brush each with olive oil and season with your favorite rub or fry seasoning.

throw on a med-high grill skin side up for about 2 minutes and rotate 90 degrees for the nice grill mark. after another 2 minutes flip to the other side and do the same

You will never have regular fries again!

I also like to make a fry sauce that goes perfect with it!

find out more about it here:

http://www.sharky.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:32 am
smoke rare
rare

Posts: 26
Yeah, that's a good one Sharkey. I also liked your Korean flanked steak. You have a nice website and the pictures of you gotta make any griller smile.

I had better results with the potatoes when I switched to peanut oil. And then better still when I went with half peanut half butter.

I don't like meat that much, so I try to make the meat blow your head off, and then use the potatoes for comfort. So I can't go with the cajun. Maybe parsley and salt.

I don't know man, going from halves to quarters is a big step.

Spring is coming on here. And that means great ungrilled fresh salads. So that leaves the grill for meat and potatoes (and my pathetic foil wrapped buttered bread.) I'll try what you say. I'm always looking for that perfect potato.

You guys hunt mushrooms out where you live?

I gotta go feed the sourdough starter, and then boil some potatoes. This ought to be a trip. Tonight we're grilling what once was frozen drumsticks that thawed out in the car over Kmart charcoal briquettes.

To everything
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn,
Or it will sit
On your grill and
Burn, burn, burn,

Did I tell you I made it one time accidently?

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:57 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 4272
Location: York, PA
I take the biggest Idaho's I can find, slice them about 1/4 inch thick longways. Coat them in Italian dressing (or anything you can imagine) and throw them right on the grates. They pick up cool grill marks and taste great! Easy. Try adding old bay for a little extra kick.
Image

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:30 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 72
smoke wrote:
Yeah, that's a good one Sharkey. I also liked your Korean flanked steak. You have a nice website and the pictures of you gotta make any griller smile.

I had better results with the potatoes when I switched to peanut oil. And then better still when I went with half peanut half butter.

I don't like meat that much, so I try to make the meat blow your head off, and then use the potatoes for comfort. So I can't go with the cajun. Maybe parsley and salt.

I don't know man, going from halves to quarters is a big step.

Spring is coming on here. And that means great ungrilled fresh salads. So that leaves the grill for meat and potatoes (and my pathetic foil wrapped buttered bread.) I'll try what you say. I'm always looking for that perfect potato.

You guys hunt mushrooms out where you live?

I gotta go feed the sourdough starter, and then boil some potatoes. This ought to be a trip. Tonight we're grilling what once was frozen drumsticks that thawed out in the car over Kmart charcoal briquettes.

To everything
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn,
Or it will sit
On your grill and
Burn, burn, burn,

Did I tell you I made it one time accidently?



haha Smoke you crack me up.

I haven't tried peanut oil. I'm not a fan of peanuts. lol

The good thing about this is you can use just about any seasoning you like.. it'll turn out great every time.

Thanks for the comments on my board. Feel free to come over and post whenever you like. I'm giving away a Hamburger book at the end of the month:-) Maybe next month I will give away one of Steven's books?

That would be a good idea for this board as well, and would certainly encourage posters (hint hint hint!)

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:31 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 72
Grand Scale wrote:
I take the biggest Idaho's I can find, slice them about 1/4 inch thick longways. Coat them in Italian dressing (or anything you can imagine) and throw them right on the grates. They pick up cool grill marks and taste great! Easy. Try adding old bay for a little extra kick.


you don't pre cook them?

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:40 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 4272
Location: York, PA
No I have never pre cooked them, they do come out a little bit aldente but we like them that way. Cook them slower and you'll be fine though. Why create more work. Its similar in my mind to boiling ribs first. Although reading that you guys all seem to pre cook them first I'll have to give it a shot.
Image

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:33 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 87
Location: Oshkosh, WI

I slice mine, cook em indirect till mostly cooked, then grill them direct for 5 min or so.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:56 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5375
Location: Damascus, Maryland
Try using a grill wok or perforated skillet.

Rough chop 'taters and equal amount of onion 1 to 1.5" hunks

Toss with olive oil
season wth s+p crushed rosemary and garlic cloves cut in half.

preheat pan throw 'em in and cook till the edges get real dark and crusty.

Never seem to have any leftovers.

YB

I've added carrots and asparagrass to this as well.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:18 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Posts: 1063
YardBurner wrote:
Try using a grill wok or perforated skillet.

Rough chop 'taters and equal amount of onion 1 to 1.5" hunks

Toss with olive oil
season wth s+p crushed rosemary and garlic cloves cut in half.

preheat pan throw 'em in and cook till the edges get real dark and crusty.

Never seem to have any leftovers.
.


I do mine almost the same way except I use new potatoes quartered. ANother thing you guys might want to try is a sweet potato the next time you are in the store and get ready to reach for that russet. Try a sweet potato and enjoy the change of pace.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:30 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5375
Location: Damascus, Maryland
UMMM! Change is good. Tonite I'll have 2 anjeo's.

:twisted:

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:13 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Posts: 87
Location: Oshkosh, WI

Airfoils wrote:
Try a sweet potato and enjoy the change of pace.

I agree, sweet potato rock!
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:06 pm
Vinsect well done
well done

Posts: 576
Location: Middle Tennessee
Anybody know what internal temp potatoes get "fluffy" at?
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Next

Return to General Discussion