Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 1st post

1st post

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:12 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Hello all

New member here & glad I found this place. Seems like alot of neat people here. I purchased the " How to grill" book this past weekend. I don't like it. I can't get this thing in my pocket, even after rubbin some olive oil on the book covers. :D But really, after I happened to find the BBQU show on the tube, I noticed Steve's picture on this book at the book store. I recognized Steve from that show & bought the book. I've showed the book to 8 coworkers & got the same responses. "Where did you get this", "I gotta get me one", & "man I'm hungry".

After reading this book & finding this site, I've learned alot of new stuff. The grilled pizza caught my eye. I had seen a post about how something tasted better, the second time around, on the grill. Well, we bought some Little Caesars last night. I thought Hmmm. I indirectly grilled a few slices of pizza 5 to10 minutes. I was thinking the cheese would melt all over the place & I would have a mess. It didn't happen & man did it turn out good. I love thin & crispy crust. The pizza was hot & had just a little bit of crispness to it. Way better than heating it up in the microwave. Well , I've blabed long enough. I'm gonna have to get some of the other books, as I have a new excitement about grilling. Thanks for the books Steve & members keep them posts coming.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:22 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board jm42fan!

You are experiencing the WOW factor that each of us had when we first got our "How to Grill". Hope to hear more from you as you delve into HTG. Point your coworkers that grill or Que our way. It's a great place to hang.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:30 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad you found us as well. Now would you please tell us where we are!!

Steve's much taller on the book you know.

YB

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:16 pm
jm42fan well done
well done

Thanks for the welcome. YB, your in neverland. That's not neverland ranch by the way. Where there is nothing but grills & smokers for as far as you can see. Your getting very hungry. When I snap my fingers you will start grilling & send some to me. :shock: Doesn't Steve have sort of an evil grin while he's holding the tonges. It,s like he wants to catch ANYTHING with them so he can throw it on the grill. If he's taller on the book, he must really be short in person. He has no legs. :shock: Does anyone that lives in the OKC area know of a good grilling store? I would like to find some place that has a good variety of woods & grilling weapons in OKC area.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome jm42fan..That's how it starts. See the show, buy the "How To Grill" book, and before you know it, you'll be at the store getting the rest of the books. Seriously, The "How To Grill" book is excellent, in my opinion. The book is easy to follow, and sure does open up a whole new world of cooking outdoors. Good luck, and hope to hear about some of your recipes.

Pete

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:20 am
smoke rare
rare

Yeah, I stopped in to Barnes and Nobles because I was looking for a recipie for something. I picked up How to Grill and read something and said, "hmmm, I should try that." Then I thumbed through it and kept reading and reading, and finally just bought it.

I hate cookbooks. They are mostly all just a bunch of recipies. And all the recipies are is just the same thing eveybody cooks only they think it is something special because they add a 1/4 teaspoon of clove or cummin or coriander and then call it Iraqi french fries instead of French french fries.

I wish more cook books, and for that matter any book on any subject were written like Steve's How to Grill. It is a cross bertween inspirational and informational.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:43 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have to admit that I don’t like cook books with only recipes either. Steve’s books are unique and provide excellent reading and cooking tips at the same time. When I got my “How to Grill”, I was amazed with the pictures, illustrations, and techniques. But I really enjoyed reading the “BBQ Bible”; it was a journey through the world cuisines. I felt like I was with Steve every step of the way. This is what good cookbooks should be like. They should include history, traditions, techniques as well as recipes.
“Plain recipes” is just plain boring.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:04 am
Airfoils well done
well done

smoke wrote:
I wish more cook books, and for that matter any book on any subject were written like Steve's How to Grill. It is a cross bertween inspirational and informational.

Well said! Bible and USA are probably my favorites. I had already had BBQitis many years before Steve's books and had figured out a great many things before HTG so it didn't have the impact on me as much as Bible did but I'm glad it's bringing so many people into the activity. Z's ccomments on Bible are right on and because USA is very similiar to the Bible style, It joins Bible as my fave. I rather think of mine as tomes not books. Well, off to the store for some meat! 8)

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:04 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jm42Fan-
wecome aboard, ejoy the books, enjoy the board, enjoy the insanity!

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:17 am
Vinsect well done
well done

JM42FAN, Welcome to the group. I'm enjoying your sense of humor. It was probably me that you heard about grilling leftovers from. Especially if it was pizza. I did some leftover Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches recently too. Threw on some swiss cheese I had in the fridge along with some horseraddish. It didn't taste that good at Arbys.

Next time you go to microwave anything, ask yourself ...."What would Steven Raichlen do?"

In fact, if the appropriate people are listening (ahem, ahem), I think that would be a cool bumper sticker or fridge magnet. We could put them on our refridgerators, microwaves, and ovens. Then we would ask ourselves "I wonder what this macaroni and cheeses would be like grilled?"
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:11 am
smoke rare
rare

I was killing some time drinking a cup if coffee at Borders today, and I browsed through "The Barbeque Bible." Wow, the sepia tone pictures of the world markets are so beautiful.

I see what you mean about a trip around the grilling world. I never knew who Steven was. I thought "How to Grill" was a compendium of all the he had previously written. Man, there's all kinds of ideas in Barbeque Bible.

I wonder how Steven feels about buying books used off of Amazon?

I was a working musician for many years, and I know what those royalties mean. My girlfriend tells me, "It's not about what's good for you, it's about what's good for people."

Maybe I'll buy it used, I don't know. I was very happy as a capitalist. But seeing the pictures of the old markets in Steven's book, and this commie chick I am in love with have me all mixed up.

At any rate, I'd like to work on some of those vegetarian recipies from India.

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:52 pm
RichD medium-well
medium-well

I went right to the bookstore after seeing the BBQ Special on the Food Network last Saturday. I can't tell you how happy I was when I first looked at "How To Grill". I love to cook on the grill, but I'll be the first to admit that my techniques are lacking. This is the first book I think I've seen that actually shows you how to do it. I also picked up the book on Rubs, Sauces and Marinades.
I am going to do a beer can chicken and barbecued cabbage this Saturday on my gas grill. I haven't gotten my Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe yet.

RichD

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:32 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Welcome RichD...The books are great. I just made another Beer Can chicken using 100% apple juice, liquid smoke, and seasoned the chicken inside/outside with Cajun seasoning. I also made a smoke pouch with soaked mesquite chips. The chicken came out excellent, nice and moist. The mesquite flavoring is strong, but that's the way we like it over here. Be sure to experiment...the possibilities are endless. Good luck. :D

Pete

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:27 am
hooohaa2 rare
rare

Jm42Fan-

I am glad to have found this site as well. I too saw the show, but only once, and that inspired me to start grilling. Just wanted to say welcome aboard, and I hope you will share your experiences.

Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:19 am
Big D well done
well done

Welcome....

I definetly can relate... for years I have loved BBQ and cookouts with friends over... I am all about the show and like to be the 'hostess with the mostess'.... I used to go to the hardware stores and see the great big stainless steel grills then I meet a few people with home-made brick bbq pits, massive monuments that should join the list of man made wonders of the world....

When I found HTG and the 'bible' (which I keep on my night stand right beside Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations which are two books very dear to my heart) I was in aww. I have had many cooks outs in the backyard with steaks, burgers and boiling lobsters, mussels, clams and corn on the cob..... always a lot of food and a lot of fun but always the same.. I had heard of grilling corn on the cob and pizza but some of the ideas ya get are like 'WOW'.... I cant wait for summer to kick off in full force here with everyone returning home from school so I can have a real cookout and knock peoples socks off!

Next

Return to General Discussion