Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jambalaya on the Turkey Fryer

Jambalaya on the Turkey Fryer

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:39 pm
schaefsn rare
rare

Has anyone ever attempted this? I got a turkey fryer and it came with a shallow 12 quart pan. I want to use it for Jambalaya on the back deck. If anyone has done this, please let me know how it worked and if you have any tips for success. Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:56 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I have made Paella and Jambalaya on my gas grill. I removed all the lava rocks, placed a deep baking pan on the grate directly above the burner and cooked away. In both instance, the food turned out great. I did this during last summer. I did not want to use the stove or the oven inside the house, because it was too hot. I think the turkey fryer will work just fine. You’ll have to keep the lid on and the flame low. In my case, I just closed the grill lid to create an oven effect. After all, the grill and the turkey fryer burners are no different than any stovetop burner. Let me know if you need recipes on the subject.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:21 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with Z, the fryer burner is lttle more than your stove on steroids. I've made chili and soups with mine. Go for it!
Let us know how you make out.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:25 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I make a famous (amoung my friends) jambalaya, and it depends on simmering. Can you really turn a turkey frier down low enough to do a true simmer? I don't see the point of this, other than just to say you did it. After all, once you get to the cooking part, you can leave it and go outside 'til it's done.
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:44 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The only advantage to it other than to say that you did it, and lets face it, thats a good reason, is the quantity issue. I have an 80 qt pot for on my turkey fryer. I can't fit that on my stove.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:42 pm
schaefsn rare
rare

Spectacle is always a good thing too.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:09 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

The other reason is not to heat up the house when its hot.
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:07 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Don’t forget the joy of cooking outdoors; it’s unbeatable in my book.

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:34 pm
rmurphy7625

If you can keep the burner turned down low enough it should work fine. When I make it I use Zatarin's rice, sausage, kidney beans & chicken chunks. The beautiful thing about jambalaya is there is no exact recipe, just add what you thing would taste good. I have added different kinds of soups, vegetables, beans & rice and they all turn out great.
good luck
Ryan Murphy

Return to General Discussion