Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Extra: Grand Scale uses Charcoal

Extra: Grand Scale uses Charcoal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:03 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Just had to share with all my friends:
I made 2 excellent beef tenderloins this weekend over charcoal. It was at my inlaws, using an old Weber, complete with damage from where a tree fell on it. They came out great and there was much rejoicing. I just couldn't let those beautiful cuts of meat go into the oven. So I stepped up to the plate, with all your voices of charcoal advise ringing in my head, and pulled off a masterpiece, if I do say so myself.

I still like my gas though. :wink:

But I'd deffinately do it again!

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome to the dark side my friend.

Just go pick up a new kettle and get it over with. You know you want to!

YB :D

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:45 pm
sharky medium-rare
medium-rare

Congrats!

I'm thinking more and more about getting a charcoal grill to use when the gas one is loaded to the bone!

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:53 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Stop thinking and just do it!!

You'll be surprised at how they compliment each other..

As you know, I have both in several different configurations and all have their strong points and weak points.

I won't get caught into the trap again over the + and - of each. but remember, it's just a heat source, and in skilled hands either one can produce (dare I say) "Good Eats".

YB

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:06 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

Grand Scale..I agree with everyone else. Go ahead and buy a kettle. Although, I have three gas grills, I do have one small kettle. I'm sure the encouragement to buy a Weber kettle will continue. :)

Pete

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:27 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Although everyone will disagree, I think you should buy a charcoal grill/smoker. This way you’ll have the option of charcoal smoking or grilling. I have a horizontal Grill/Smoker and I love it. The metal is very thick and hold the heat very well; this way you don't have to add charcoal as often.

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:05 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Great Grand,

I knew you would come around........So do it........get a real grill. (I just may invest in one of those other types of grill just to speed the process up on occasion.

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:19 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Larry, a gas unit might do you a favor for those quick fire fests. You can use it closer to the house 'cause there are no sparks flyin' about from the grill or the chimney. Might be a little easier to tend when the weather is nasty like this past weekend. You wouldn't have to go as far away from the house and depending on your overhang (the houses, not your gut) you might stay a little drier.

I gave up on grillin' today with all the freakin' wind. Had a duck all thawed and everything. Forced me to turn on the oven it did. Hard to type, fingers still greasy, gettin' sleepy. Good duck, good du... Duck, duck, goose.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. nite, nite

YB

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:28 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Yard,

Right, the wind today. I had a couple of nice salmon steaks that had to go into the oven. :cry:

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:17 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

By the end of the summer or the first sale I may add an offset smoker/grill to my arsenal.
But it will deffinately be for overflow and hard core smoking purposes.

After all I still was able to grill last night, with the high winds. :P

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:36 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale wrote:
After all I still was able to grill last night, with the high winds. :P

Very good point. I am very close to a gasser for those evening when I want something grilled quick. (And I don't want to clean the indoor Viking grill.)

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:12 am
Vinsect well done
well done

For those of you who don't pay closer attention to the threads, Grand Scale isn't exactly a charcoal/ wood virgin.
Grand Scale, didn't you say you already own a smoker? How much Single Malt do you have to drink to fire it up though? :wink:
If it aint broke, Break it!
Then rebuild it better.

Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:14 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Vinsect you are the sharp one, gotta watch the boys in orange. But, you're only part right. My smoker is of the 7-in-1 variety, but it is basely propane fueled. So yes I have and do use it with charcoal (unless you count many campfires over the years I am for the most part a wood virgin). But for me to use charcoal does take a few...

That will change someday when I jump for an offset like mentioned above, but then it'll still take a few but it may only take a few Yuenglings instead of scotches!

Return to General Discussion