Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken Drumettes

Chicken Drumettes

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:05 pm
smoke rare
rare

These guys are kind of fun. Especially if you have dogs (the chicken bone chewing type) cats or posumns. Take two bites, toss em a bone. Take two bite, toss em a bone.

I don't really know any secrets to these except maybe common sense.

Most marinades and basting sauces and dipping sauces all run about 1 part butter to one part hot sauce, and then whatever other ingredients you want.

Anyone have any secrets?

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:52 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

You shouldn't feed animals chicken bones. They splinter and can choke them to death. Dogs in particular are susceptible.

I like to use a rib rub on mine and cook them indirect with hickory but I use the whole wing, not just drummettes and I personally prefer the other part (whatever its called) since it seems to me it has less cartilidge and veins etc.

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:11 pm
PaulP well done
well done

smoke wrote:
Most marinades and basting sauces and dipping sauces all run about 1 part butter to one part hot sauce, and then whatever other ingredients you want.

That's a pretty broad statement. That formula would be pretty hot, and possibly not to everyone's taste. I also to whole wings, but I baste them wth a sweet sauce. Steven has a recipe or two in Barbecue Bible
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:07 am
smoke rare
rare

Airfoils wrote:
You shouldn't feed animals chicken bones. They splinter and can choke them to death. Dogs in particular are susceptible.

That's why I said only feed them to chicken bone chewing dogs. A lot of people have dogs that can't have chicken bones.

Well wings now, that's a whole nuther two parts of an animal. I'm just talking drumettes. You can buy big bags of them frozen, and they aren't really worth marinating. I just put them on frozen and baste them.

I've never really found anything better than Frank's hot sauce. I've had some good ones in Chinese restarants. I think they said they steam them and bake them and fry them. But I forget if they fry them first or bake them first. Neither way is grilled, so off topic.

I have found if you make the butter and hot sauce a day ahead, and refrigerate it, when you reheat it, it thickens up nicely.

How come none of the coyotes that eat my chickens ever choke to death?

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:44 pm
Info@Workman Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the board, and a fine point you have about why don't the coyoytes choke! Considering I had to stick my hand in my dog's mouth just this morning to retrieve a stray chicken bone she picked up on our walk, it is truly one of life's mysteries.

Here's the link to the Buffaque Wings that were mentioned earlier.

Info

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The main point regarding the bone discussion is:

Raw bones GOOOD

Cooked bones BAAAD

At least thats the way the breeder down the road puts it.

Smaller breeds should not have real bones at all. Stick with commercial treats.

Rob

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:44 am
smoke rare
rare

Here's the link to the Buffaque Wings that were mentioned earlier.

Info[/quote]

Yeah, the picture and the recipie don't match. The picture is from Steve's book. I stlll haven't tried stretching those wing out on skewers.

Grilled some drumettes last night. Half butter half Franks hot sauce. They were the best I'd ever made. I would even have to say they were perfect.

But still, they were too salty. Maybe they got the drift from some potatoes I was working on and salting.

I'm very cost conscious. Anybody can make great food if they spend a fortune doing it. I'm always looking for simpler and cheaper ways to do it.

That's just too much money for a marinade for me, I just paid $4 dollars for a pound of butter at my local god forsaken so called grocery store, and a bottle of tabasco sauce should be savored, not poured on raw chicken. Especially wings.

Yeah I know, I can go to Wal Mart and get it cheaper, But there's the quality of life issue. And whenever I go to Wal Mart, it takes a very, very hot fire to burn that unpleasant memory out of my brain.

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:22 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm going to jump in here because this thread involves three of my favorite things. Grilling, wings, and dogs.

First. No bird bones for any dog. Bird bones are hollow, cooked or not. They will splinter or be swallowed. Even a small dog has the ability to do this. Just don't do it. Even beef and pork bones, when cut, can be bad. I love my dog more than my grill, and that says alot.

Second: part the fun of wings is the variety of ways to do them. Hot, medium, mild, killer, sweet and sour, terriaki, old bay, bbq, the list goes on and on. They are great on the grill no matter how you choose to do them. That said, I agree that Franks is the best, Crystal is virtually the same stuff. I use these like ketchup. But as far as wings are concerned they are not the sauce, they are the base, but just the begining. If you think they're good with just Franks, oh boy do you have good stuff ahead of you!

Try my recipe, its floating around here somewhere...

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:25 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Grand, you're awesome recipe is in the: Holiday Feast discusion thread. Smoke, give it a try you'll like it.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 am

Have to agree with Grand, in that the beauty of wings is the many ways they can be prepared. Back in college days, a buddy and I would frequently purchase a whole bucket of raw wings from the local grocery, along with an old fashioned $3 table-top grill. We would then spend the afternoon with a cooler of beer between us, eating the wings with bottled bbq sauce right off the grill. That was five-star dining for a couple of broke students.

That was more than 20 years ago, and bone of my all-time favorite ways to spend a saturday is still over slow grilled wings slathered with Mike Ditka's bottled BBQ sauce. The cooler of beer still seems to come in handy, too.

sp

Return to General Discussion