Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Coal grate question?

Coal grate question?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:55 am
Big Pappa rare
rare

I just bought a Weber 22 1/2 Kettle and I have a question for maintaining the coal grate. Do you put any oil on it after you clean it to try to prevent rust? I want to try to make it last a long time so it will produce much fine food!!!!! 8)

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:48 pm
chagan well done
well done

I have the same grill. The reason that you oil it is for the cooking process. As long as you don't have it exposed to the elements and use it often enough (using the oiling method for cooking), I don't anticipate any rust. I have had mine for 2 years in the Northeast without a cover, and have had no signs of rust on the grill yet. I ensure that when the rain is here or approaching, I close the top vents to prefent water from getting inside. I don't think that a nice heavy coat of oil at the end of your cooking season (if there is such a thing), as well as getting a cover for it would hurt. Make sure that when the weather is nice to remove the grill cover however. If it is very humid out, the cover will trap the water vapors inside and actually accelerate the erosion process. Don't forget to season your grill and then reseason once or twice every year. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. B.T.W. my gas grill has loads of rust on it. :D

Chris

Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:50 pm
WeberBoy rare
rare

If you are talking about the charcoal grate (the one the charcoal sits on), no maintenance needed. I have had my Weber 22.5" kettle for over 6 years, use it heavily, and have had no issues. The charcoal grate is made out of heavy gauge steel and should last forever. If it doesn't, the replacement part is around $12.00.

Concerning the cooking grate, it is stainless steel and should never rust. I don't do any maintenance on the cooking grate except brush it off before and after a cook. No problems.

I recently put a cast iron grate in the kettle for better searing and grill marks. Now that thing needs the maintenance not to rust!!

Return to General Discussion