Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New Grill(s)

New Grill(s)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:07 pm
Biggest rare
rare

Every newbie asks the same question as to what grill to buy. Thought it may be worded in a different way – it is still the same basic question. Not wanting to buck tradition….

Actually I have been surviving on a Patio Caddy since I was in an apartment. Now it is time to have some fun and I can’t decide. I like the BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Webber Summit, and New Braunfels Wild West Tradition smoker. I was thinking of keeping the caddy for weeknights and getting the kettle and either the WSM or Wild West. To me the BGE is too expensive to be a learning smoker unless it is the first and last you ever need and is better than anything else. I also imagine that my caddy should be fine compared to the summit for quick chicken breast and burgers at night. What do you folks think?

Steve

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:59 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Hi Biggest and welcome. :)

Weber 22.5"
Weber Smokey Mountian

No question, you'll not regret anything about those 2 purchases and every form of grilling/BBQ is available to you. BGE is a nice cooker though, but I'd lean more toward a Kamado myself. One of these days.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:45 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ditto on the 22.5 Weber in any configuration. Reg., gold or platinum depending on you budget.

My first two were rescued from neighbors trash piles sitting alongside of gas grill cartons. All they needed was a stiff brushing and new cooking grates. I got 12 more years out of one of 'em.

Now have a mastertouch which has been kind of replaced by the Gold versions.

There are cheaper smokers on the market than the WSM but meat ain't cheap and neither is your time. The ease and consistency of heat control far outweigh the cost difference. Plus the other guys are painted metal not enameled steel.

Rob

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:18 pm

Thanks Airfoils and YardBurner.
Temperature control was my biggest concern since it seems like the hardest thing to master. The other smokers look good but I could seem them rusting quickly in our environment. I grill more than bbq so I didn't thinkg the BGE would be appropriate at this time. Who needs a $600 18" charcoal grill?? Now when I get more into bbqing then I might pick one up.

Glad to know the WSM is such a great item in a small package. I thougth it was a gimmik when I first saw it.

I think I'll get the kettle with the table. I think it would be handy. Unfort. I'm a lefty so I'm going to have to attach some tool hooks on the other side.

I've been reading this forum for over a year but only know am I finally able to start buying better grills. Would you guys upgrade the gas grill or stick with it until it dies? Any other charcoal grill better than the kettle? I'm not familiar with a lot of grills.

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:41 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Regarding the New Braunfels Wild West grill, I have a New Braunfels black diamond, you can see here is this thread. http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=779

I have really, really liked it so far but as you can see the weather has taken a toll on it.[/u]
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:38 am
smoke rare
rare

I use a Lodge Outpost Grill. I would rather die than go back to using a grill with plastic wheels. Or sit and starre at something covered up and think, "I wonder what's going in there?"

Indirect?

I have a couple of smokers, but when you smoke, you have to figure out something to do for four or five hours.

Why anyone would want to use a kettle instead of as smoker to indirect is beyond me.

Grilling is pretty exciting. When I get done grilling a whole meal with all the sides, I'm so exhausted I feel like I really deserve a grilled cinnamon apple for desert.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:01 am

The outpost looks like a lot of fun but not too practical for me. Unless I was looking at the wrong grill, the outpost was 13". I was looking for something a bit bigger. But I imagine that the outpost would be about as much fun as you could have grilling since you get to play with the fire the whole time!

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:06 am
Biggest rare
rare

Anybody have any experience with the kettle v. the kettle platinum? The kettle is tried and true - what about the table config?

Ps - anybody know why my post are done as guest even though I'm logged on?

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:14 am
smoke rare
rare

Yes, If you want to feed crowds, the Outpost would definately not work. In that case, you would be better off buying five Outpost Grills. That's what I figure one man in a chair can handle, provided you don't fall for the "High Lift em up so Westerners Can Stand While They Grill" expensive platform.

No kidding, I love my grill so much. I would love to have an outdoor restaurant. And every cook would have to handle about five little Outposts. One would be hot, one would be getting hot, one would be about burned out, and the other two would be cooking.

It is just so wonderful to sit and look down on the grill. And man, when it comes to cleaning, you can really bear down with the brush on all that cast iron. And oh what a joy cast iron is when it's seasoned.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:44 am
Biggest rare
rare

I agree on the cast iron. I have 3 lodge skillets and 2 lodge grill pans.

The weber ranch grill looks like it would be fun at a party. It seems really low and wide.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:04 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Biggest wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the kettle v. the kettle platinum? The kettle is tried and true - what about the table config?

I have both. My Platinum is my main rig since it has a table and you can store the Weber warming rack on the table as a shelf. My other is an old Bar-B-Kettle (the One touch Silver is now its equivalent) outfitted with a rotisserie ring and mainly serves that purpose. If you're left handed, you can hang a Weber tool holder from the lid holder to the right as you're looking at the grill with the table to your left.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:33 pm
Biggest rare
rare

Airfoils -
I thought about that but it looked like the lid holder would get in the way. So you think the tool holder that is made for the kettle will work on the platinuw without getting in the way of the lid? If so, I think I'm sold.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:37 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

Biggest wrote:
Airfoils -
I thought about that but it looked like the lid holder would get in the way. So you think the tool holder that is made for the kettle will work on the platinuw without getting in the way of the lid? If so, I think I'm sold.

Yes, I know it does because that's what I do. Just understand that you are hanging it from the lid holder itself, not the kettle rim.

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:30 am

We have a Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe. Huge grill, and somewhat impractical when adding new coals. We get around that by using two pairs of restaurant quality tongs, and tilt one end up at a time, using a third, LONG handled pair of tongs to add more coals. I have to admit, when it comes to preparing a vast quantity of food, this grill is hard to beat. With the summers here in the South so hot and muggy, I fire up the grill on a Saturday or Sunday, and bbq a whole month's worth of meats at once, then wrap in foil and freeze. (Don't flame me for this! I have to, with my schedule!)
We can make it smoke meats, and turkeys turn out so moist and juicy, we tell guests to wear old clothes!
Pass the BBQ, and make it quick! I'm in withdrawal here!

Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:33 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board BarbecuingMania! I usually fire up the smoker on weekends to supply us for the week. Then we'll refrigerate and the wife has it ready when I get home from work. I can fire up the grill during the week, but not the smoker.

Great to have you aboard!

Next

Return to General Discussion