Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Duck

Duck

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:01 pm
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

I bought a duck to BBQ for Sunday. Have not decided if I should try and smoke it low and slow or cook it indirect at a higher heat. I have never made a whole duck before. Anyone have any advise on cookng whole ducks?

Thanks
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:43 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Andy, I have never smoked a duck, but I am willing to bet it is similar to a goose, with lots of fat. I generaly smoke -- low and slow - a goose around the Christmas holidays. I brine it over night with onions, bay leaves, pepper corns and some juniper berrys. I like to smoke a goose at 290 to 300. My last log says I smoked a 12 pounder for 5 hours, and I noted it needed another hour.

let us know how the duck turns out.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:38 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I’ve revised a Chinese method to cooking a whole Duck. The Chinese duck is steamed first, and then it’s roasted until it’s crispy. You can do the same thing on the grill or in a smoker. First smoke the duck on low temp with a water pan inside the smoker, then remove the water pan and turn up the heat until the skin is nice and crispy. The rational behind steaming the duck is to melt as much of the fat as possible while keeping the meat nice and moist.
Here is the recipe:
1 whole duck
1 tbs Chinese five-spice powder
For the Cavity-fresh ginger, scallions, orange peel, half an onion, 3 garlic cloves
1/2-cup Orange Marmalade (the kind with the orange peel included)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Trim the excess fat from the neck and body. Rinse the duck, inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Make the rub by combine the Chinese five-spice, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the duck, inside and out. Stuff the duck cavity with the: the ginger, garlic, scallions, onion, and orange peel. Fold the wing tips back under the duck and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Poke the duck all over with a fork, piercing the skin but not the meat. This will allow the fat to escape.
Smoke the duck with a full water pan directly below the bird for about 2 hours at 225-250 degrees. Meanwhile prepare the glaze as follow: in a saucepan combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, a dash of the Chinese five-spice, and the orange marmalade. You can also add some minced ginger and garlic to the glaze if you prefer. Heat the mixture until it pulls together.
After 2 hours of smoking (and steaming the duck), remove the water pan and turn up the heat to 350 degrees. Apply the glaze during the last half hour of cooking. If you apply the glaze too soon, the sugar will burn the skin. Roast the duck until the skin is nice and crisp and the meat to your preferred doneness.
Of course, you can always smoke the duck all the way, but you won’t have a crispy skin. You can also rotisserie cook the duck; Steve has a great recipe for rotis. duck in “How to Grill” Page #266.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:30 am
Airfoils well done
well done

Regarding method, I rather enjoy duck on my Weber 22 1/2 rotisserie with some smoke blend. As far as a recipe, I'm all over the map. I've done probably a couple dozen of them and do them different every time and have enjoyed many of the recipes I've tried. Thanks for yours Z. I printed it for my recipe to do list.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:40 am
AndyC medium-rare
medium-rare

Thanks for the recipe, it looks great! Do you score the skin to encourage the fat to drip off more?
My BBQ/Grilling log - http://catertots.net/

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

You’re welcome.
I don’t usually score the skin because when it shrinks, it pulls back and leaves gaps. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but from a presentation point of view, I like the skin to remain intact. If you want more fat to drip off, just extra poke it with the fork.

Return to General Discussion